• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump replacement

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
On a 93 XJ 4.0:

If I replace the oil pump, do I HAVE TO replace the pick up screen tube assembly too?

I understand there is a special tool required to install the tube?

Thanks

Does not sound right, on a stock height XJ it's sometimes easier to reinstall the oil pan with the pickup off then put it back on once you have the pan past all the linkages and such.

ChipsXJ said:
On a 93 XJ 4.0:

If I replace the oil pump, do I HAVE TO replace the pick up screen tube assembly too?

I understand there is a special tool required to install the tube?

Thanks

Yes, it WOULD be a good idea to replace the pick-up as well as the pump itself. They usually come together as a kit anyway. You'll need to heat up the female end (pump hole) and freeze the pick up tube to make it fit inside. A light slather of grease also helps.
If it's going into a stock height XJ, you'll need to remove the engine mount through bolts and jack the engine up from the front underneath the harmonic balancer (put a block of wood between the HB and the jackstand to avoid damaging the HB). Raising the engine will give you the necessary clearance to get the oil pan off and on again. Let the front axle droop but don't bother removing the lower shock mount bolts (it doesn't help).

Back