• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 vs 29 spline gears and install kits

asp

NAXJA Forum User
What [I think] I know:
29 spline carriers are bigger than 27 spline carriers

My questions:
Do they take the same install kit?
Will a set of aftermarket gears work on either a 27 or 29 spline axle?

Reason for asking:
I should have asked this earlier or at least done my homework on it, but I'm going to have gears installed in my 29 spline 8.25. I already have gears and the install kit will be arriving in a few days.

Thanks in advance, I did a quick search, but didn't come up with much results.

Carrier,Carrier bearings,side gears.axles are different.The rest will interchange.

Carrier,Carrier bearings,side gears.axles are different.The rest will interchange.

that's for the most part what i thought. well crap i hope the install kit i did a trade for is for a 29 spline carrier.

thanks for the quick response to the noob question. i feel like i should have known or been able to come up with something searching... but oh well

The last 8.25 install kit I bought came with both sets of carrier bearings.

I don't know if that is typical or not?

The last 8.25 install kit I bought came with both sets of carrier bearings.

I don't know if that is typical or not?

wow, i'm surprised. the company could really cut costs if they stocked individual ones i would think.

in any case, i talked to the guy i am getting stuff from and he bought stuff for a 29 spline, thankfully. i'm interested to see if it has carrier bearings for both...

wow, i'm surprised. the company could really cut costs if they stocked individual ones i would think.

Two bearings may not be as expensive as the overhead involved in stocking two nearly identicle kits.

Two bearings may not be as expensive as the overhead involved in stocking two nearly identicle kits.

valid point. i suppose it would depend kit to kit and axle to axle...

Back