• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel size question

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
i have 15x8 wheels mounted with 31.10.5 a/t's. I just got a free set of pro comp a/t's that are 285/75 (32.83x11.25?)
discount tire told me i would need a new wheels in order to run the larger tire- wanted to ask naxja before i did anything though-

they're on crack!! You could run a 32x11.5 on a 7" wheel if you want...but 8" is perfect.

You don't need a 10" wide wheel until you start getting into 14" wide tires.

Oh...and you don't want 16" diameter wheels so much. Less sidewall=less flex and more vulnerability for wheel damage. 15" wheels are ideal for jeeps. You don't need to think about larger diameter wheels until your well over 37" tires, IMO. Even then, there isn't all that much need to go larger in wheel diameter.

yeah i forgot to mention they are r16. i asked them if it was possible but un-advisable or not possible....they told me not possible-figured they just wanted me to buy a new set of wheels from them.

Tire rack recommends a 7.5" to 9" wide rim. but you could be able to find a shop that will put them on a 7" wide rim... they just may not warranty any thing because the tire is on a rim narrower then manufactures recommendation.

If they are 285/75/r16 then yes you will need new rims. 8" width is fine but you need 16" diameter rims.

You absolutely need 16" wheels.

And I'm of the opinion 16" > 15". Better tire size options, and a little less sidewall to fight with when you're trying to turn big meats.

Sounds like your going to need some more lift also.

for 32's? if he's fitting 31's now 32's will probably be fine.

for 32's? if he's fitting 31's now 32's will probably be fine.
Those will be closer to 33's.I currently run 265/75/16's(32 x 10.50) on about 5-1/2" lift.

You're right, I read it as 265 not 285. I've run both, and yeah you need 4.5" and some trimming to fit 285's.

Back