• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IDEAS FOR GETTING PITMAN ARM OFF?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Broke 3 pullers, you would know this if you have been watching my build...

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968921

Okay so heres a question, look here...
n1398720503_30481266_2568.jpg

I know i know, no eye protection. I couldnt see but i guess i have no excuse haha. Anyway, if you look closely you will see what i am doing. i am sawing through the pitmarn arm. I DONT want to hit hte steering box with the saw as it would puncture it, right? Does any one have any advice as to how thick the cast is on the bottom of hte steering box? Also trying to be weary of the seal as well....

What about the rest of the steering box's little thing that said pitman arm goes onto? It is threaded about 2" on the bottom, and some sort of "press" type set up for the upper 2". If i make a clean cut, can i cut through the pitman arm completely and make like a pie-cut to get it off? Cut a slice out and take it off? Im thinking since its a saw not like a hammer or anything i can just cut through and still be able to press a new pitman arm on and put the nut back on.. any ideas there????
progress.gif
http://naxja.org/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=244071030

go to walmart and buy a $10 propane torch and heat the arm, smack it with a hammer, weld a bead on the outside of the arm and then break another puller.

Broke 3 pullers, you would know this if you have been watching my build...

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968921

Okay so heres a question, look here...
n1398720503_30481266_2568.jpg

I know i know, no eye protection. I couldnt see but i guess i have no excuse haha. Anyway, if you look closely you will see what i am doing. i am sawing through the pitmarn arm. I DONT want to hit hte steering box with the saw as it would puncture it, right? Does any one have any advice as to how thick the cast is on the bottom of hte steering box? Also trying to be weary of the seal as well....

What about the rest of the steering box's little thing that said pitman arm goes onto? It is threaded about 2" on the bottom, and some sort of "press" type set up for the upper 2". If i make a clean cut, can i cut through the pitman arm completely and make like a pie-cut to get it off? Cut a slice out and take it off? Im thinking since its a saw not like a hammer or anything i can just cut through and still be able to press a new pitman arm on and put the nut back on.. any ideas there????
progress.gif
I broke a huge puller on mine, ended up making a cut as you are doing and soaking it in penetrant for a bit. Then the puller just slid it off. Watch you dont cut to deep!, I had to clean up the spine with a file and a dremel

safety issues aside (glasses/gloves/pants)
PB blast is your friend. so is a MAP gas torch. MAP is a lot hotter than propane. i broke a puller trying to get the arm off of my dodge ram, but the second one worked like a charm.

put the puller on with a decent amount of pressure, but don't wail on it don't use an impact gun so you get a good feel for the pressure.
good ammt of heat, and beat the SNOT out of it with the hammer. tighten up the puller a little bit more, and beat on that pitman arm till she gives.

other approach is now is a good time to do a durango steering box

the pants/shoes are fine, dont let anyone give you shit, its your legs!. the glasses however.. id rather take an exploding grinding disk to the legs then the eyes!

the pants/shoes are fine, dont let anyone give you shit, its your legs!. the glasses however.. id rather take an exploding grinding disk to the legs then the eyes!
heed the warning, My close friend was cutting with a zip disc and grinder, the disc came apart and did some serious damage to her face. she is still having plastic surgery. It messed with the nerves in her face as well. She is still a very pretty girl ,scars aside,she's so lucky it wasn't worse.I dont pick one up without a facesheild anymore

would you take an exploding grinding disk to the crotch wearing nylon shorts?

we're only trying to help, how much would you care about the pitman arm if you couldnt drive due to blindness! that being said, we've all done it im sure.

BACK TO TECK!

safety issues aside (glasses/gloves/pants)
PB blast is your friend. so is a MAP gas torch. MAP is a lot hotter than propane. i broke a puller trying to get the arm off of my dodge ram, but the second one worked like a charm.
yeah MAP and a hammer are your friend in this situation...trust me
Just in case the OP or someone else goes looking for it, the correct spelling is 'MAPP'.

Oh, and X10 on the safety bashing. I can count at least five things you are not doing right.

would you take an exploding grinding disk to the crotch wearing nylon shorts?
OBVIOUSLY i wouldnt want that to happen, but i would feel that risk was nominal, skin heals, beleive me, both my hands are fsked up from multiple dumbass mistakes, but eyes? thats a life long disability that sucks!

the way i see it is its your body do with it what you will, but its been discussed on here and everyother forum in the world and is a well known fact that if you dont want ppl to tell you ur an idiot for not wearing saftey gear then dont post up pics of you grinding, welding, heating, whatever on the web and not wearing any...:peace:

Thats just stupid,other than that Im trying to figure out why your even doing it?Not much in your previous post's indicates this mod!

he wanted to prevent messing up his pitman arm/knuckles reaming it for the jcr 1-ton =)
i did this a couple weeks back, i did tons of research, LOTS of people mention this problem. not very many mention they ruined their pitman arm.

usually when people do a write up, theres a 'problem', focus on the problems they have, your likely to have problems on the same thing

Ive never had any issues reaming knuckles or pitman arms "in place"!!Other than which way torque is applied it should be a "no-brainer".Yes,if you can do it with a press/mill will be easier othe than all the parts removal.

Last edited:
Ive never had any issues reaming knuckles or pitman arms "in place"!!Other than which way torque is applied it should be a "no-brainer".Yes,if you can do it with a press/mill will be easier othe than all the parts removal.
i mentioned this in the other thread, but hes obviously having a rough time, lets not rub it in....=)

i mentioned this in the other thread, but hes obviously having a rough time, lets not rub it in....=)
No,We are talking about REAL angles!

Okay, as for the bashing, i get it. Did you guys really just spend 2 pages telling me this? I got it already haha, I'll wear jeans and a paintball mask next time, everybody happy?

BACK TO TECH PLEASE. If i dont get this done by this upcoming weekend my parents are cutting it loose, i have to trade in my car for my dad to buy me a runnable run. I was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago, I am having to take some measures to get everything done right now, does everybody understand? I have over $6,000 in this Cherokee, plus the loan on it itself. Please, get back to tech.

I broke a huge puller on mine, ended up making a cut as you are doing and soaking it in penetrant for a bit. Then the puller just slid it off. Watch you dont cut to deep!, I had to clean up the spine with a file and a dremel

Well the cutting wheel is circular obviously, so if I want to cut through all of the arm im going to have to hit the steering shaft's splines and threads. Did you just hit the splines or the threads too?

Well the cutting wheel is circular obviously, so if I want to cut through all of the arm im going to have to hit the steering shaft's splines and threads. Did you just hit the splines or the threads too?
just the spline slightly, I only made one cut, (no pie shaped cut) it was not compromising

Back