• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frony upper shock problems

88bluecrunched

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88xj with RE 3.5" coils in the fromt and Rusty's Offroad shocks just got back from a wheeling trip and fount that the front bobs up and down when I stop. So i investigated and fount that the rubber plug things at the top of the shocks are broken both of them. I do not know whatthey are called does anyone know a name for them and where I could get maybe some better ones. Thanks

The Shock Bushing? Usually caused by having too short of a shock.

As for replacements, do you have an old set of shocks around? Go to an auot repair shop and get a couple old ones?

Ok finally got a picture. Just replaced them on Friday with brand new ones and today I looked and they were toast again.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Yeah I know sorry about he crappy pictures.

looks like you might of made them too tight in the first place.

Looks to me like you're missing the washer on top so it's pulling the nut through.
There should be 2 washers, the order from bottom to top is washer-bushing-"body"-bushing-washer-then nut.

From Shock up:

Shock - metal washer - rubber - (fender well) - rubber - metal washer - nut.

The metal washers are the same diameter as the rubber bushings

88bluecrunched said:
that was the order it pulled the washer through the bushing. How tight are they suppose to be?

8 pound-feet.

The washers (actually, "cupped washers,") are critical - I've seen nuts pulled through the bushings before.

You should be able to get them as a kit from any parts house that carries the Motormite/HELP! line...

5-90

The top washer should be about the same diameter as the bushing (~1.5"?). Is this the size washer you were using?
Edit: Nevermind, beat me to it

I had the same problem. I replaced the rubber parts with ones from the auto parts store, and they still pulled through. It seems like the rubber is too soft. And no, my shocks are not too short. I finally made my own upper bushings from a hockey puck. I sliced it in two to make two 7/16 thick pucks and then used a hole saw to make them about 3/4 diameter. The lower bushing is the soft one, and the "puck" bushing is on top. Did 7 hours of wheeling Sunday with some really off camber stuff. They held up fine.

Back