• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Groundless XJ

I had some friends come out today to install my Hellas, and they were able to get everything hooked up except they couldn't find anywhere to ground on the Jeep. They tried and tested several places all over the damn Jeep but weren't able to find anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where is a good spot to ground a set of Hella 500s for off-road use?

Thanks!

bare metal if the negative of the battery is bonded to the frame like it should be. or run a wire back to the neg of the battery.

with hi performance lighting, ive heard its best to ground back to the negative battery terminal, it'll flow more power.
dunno if its important on some h500's... but i know my dust lamp gets HOT unless its grounded to the negative terminal.

whatever you ground to (if not the battery terminal) sand it down to bare metal for best results. use a self tapping screw and most of the time you have a few empty screw holes in your engine bay off the the sides that work. thats how i grounded mine and i am running 4 hella 500's

Same damn thing if the connection is pressed up against clean bare metal. I've been using screws for ground connections and as long as you sand down or scratch up the paint beneath so you can get contact with bare metal I've never had an issue.

Same damn thing if the connection is pressed up against clean bare metal. I've been using screws for ground connections and as long as you sand down or scratch up the paint beneath so you can get contact with bare metal I've never had an issue.
x2... but im sure its not idea for hi-current stuff like HID's etc, but for a relay ground? it seems to work fine for me... at least its not a square-drive wood screw with an anti-rust coating on it!

What's wrong with those? They last forever!

I just grounded wire right on the vertical adjusting post/nut. It's connected to my bumper, which was sanded down, and in turn connected to the frame. Never had any problems.

Back