• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Locker cross pin removal

BoC

NAXJA Member #1266
I got the keeper pin out. Now the cross pin is not clearing the ring gear. How do I get that out. It just misses. Thanks again for the inputs.

BoC said:
I got the keeper pin out. Now the cross pin is not clearing the ring gear. How do I get that out. It just misses. Thanks again for the inputs.

What gears do you have currently? You will have to remove both axles, remove carrier, remove ring gear, then the cross bar will come out. Or grind a tooth or 2 down on the ring gear.

I have 3.55's. If I grind the tooth down (that freaks me out!) Will it affect anything? It seems like the quickest way. What about just unbolting the ring gear from the carrier, would that work?

BoC said:
I have 3.55's. If I grind the tooth down (that freaks me out!) Will it affect anything? It seems like the quickest way. What about just unbolting the ring gear from the carrier, would that work?

Can't unbolt the ring gear while its still in the housing. The pinion gear won't let it slide over. With the carrier out of the housing, yes, unbolting it will work. Torque main caps back down to 65 ft lbs IIRC.

Grinding the tooth down shouldn't effect anything. Just cover the rest of the carrier/berrings with a wet rag so the sparks/dust dont get anywhere.

Are you installing a lunchbox locker?

Yeah a lockright from rustys. I live about an hour from his shop. It was cheap, they said its good? I guess well see. Thanks for the help.

pull the carrier and remove the ring gear. It only takes a few minutes and saves the hassle of shaving the ring gear.

I had the same problem. I couldn't install my Aussie Locker with the ring gear in place. You might have to remove it just to be able to fit all of the pieces in there. Just pull the carrier and remove the ring gear it makes the whole thing easier (you might also have to record clearances if there's a warranty?)

Back