• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ with abs

ceb0217

NAXJA Forum User
so I did search some on hear but has any one replaced the 1 or 2 year only abs system with a regular vac booster?? the pump runs all the time and some times pulsing or NO boost assist. kind of scary to drive sometimes.

Yes, I did about 6 month after a got mine. Erratic brake stuff happening, finally said screw it. I got a MC and booster from a JY out of a 96 so it is also the dual diaphram for more braking force. I have also read ZJ and WJs work too. There are write ups on this but it pretty straight foward with some mechanical knowledge. I had to mess with rebending and flaring a line or two though and that was the hardest part. I yanked that Bendix abs crap out and have NOT looked back. Good luck. Any ?s just pm me.

Parts of that system are under extended warranty, but the dealers still manage to find other parts of the system to fix that are not under warranty.

There are a lot of writeup about removing the failure prone Bendix system and installing a newer booster and master cylinder. I believe 1996 is the year you want parts from as it has the stronger double-diaphram booster. You'll have to do some searching on brake upgrades in the forums.

Ok cool thanks took it to the steeler and they wanted about $500 to diginose and fix under warranty. I dont think its worth $500 cuse I got the xj for $200. I work at a wrecking yard so parts are no prob. I have never seen another abs 1990 xj and I have worked there sence 1994.I will probly change it over cuse I want to run 33 or bigger

Back