• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep starting hard in cold temp

crux12

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ has been very reliable, but on a recent camping trip the XJ decided it did not want to start when it was time to head back home. Maybe the truck thought I needed some extra vacation time, but really did not feel like being stuck in the middle of the woods.

Any way when I went to turn the motor over the battery was pulling strong and did not show any form of weakness. However the XJ did not want to start. dinked around under the hood a bit and thougth I would be spending another night. Then I tried to start it and apply a bit of gas at the same time. The engine came to life. If I let off the gas the motor would die. Ended up limping the XJ home and still see some of the same behaviors in the truck, although it is not a consistant issue it still does not run quite right. I am at a bit of a loss on where to start.

As a random test I dropped some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and gave it some better gas in hopes that it might help, but still to early to tell.

I know most of the guys on the board are experts and would like some feedback on what to check, replace, do to actually fix the issue.

Sounds like it could almost be in idle air control motor issue. Symtoms includes idle speed to low, idle speed to high, no cold high speed idle, slow/no idle kickdown speed when hot.
Some autos have a problem with carbon clogging up the idle air bypass passage causing similar issues, so the passage should be checked/cleaned first.
The IAC went south on my 88 @ about 160k, with the iac leaving me with a idle of about 1500, old GM style IAC on da Renix.

I'd suspect the throttle position sensor first. The clue to that is that it fired when you gave it a bit of tip in throttle. What year XJ/engine do you have? The TPS can be tested; use the SEARCH function for more information. Any check engine light??

Back