• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM alternator

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Just a tip. Renix alternators can be replaced by a GM alternator from several different vehicles. I got one from a '91 Astro Van, and my buddy pulled on from a similar year S-10. It looked like some of the full size trucks, sedans (including Cadddys for a high Amp) and front drive models would fit fine.

Really not much to write up.

Alternator crapped out, reman at parts store is $100. Decided to grab a junkyard special to hold over till I could get the stock alt rebuilt at a higher output. Only Renix alternator left was pretty rough shape, and the bolt for the power wire backed out when I was trying to unhook it. My buddy, (he's a Chevy guy) looked at the alternator, said he thought it looked GM. So, we carried it over to the GM section, and sure enough, the plug fit and everything. (early 80's Cadillac) hunted around till I found the right combo of mounting, serpentine belt pulley, and plug. I also tried to remember from my parts store days, which was likely to have the highest output. Ended up grabbing a newish (not a rebuilt) parts store alt. from a '92 Chevy astro conversion van.

Hope this helps

Yep.

1984-1986 used a Delco 12SI (I believe - I'd have to check...) with is the earlier internally-regulated Delco. As I recall, the mounting tabs are 180* apart, so a simple reclocking of the rear case may or may not be called for (which can usually be done with hand tools in about three minutes.)

1987-1990 used a Delco CS-130, but the top mounting ear is offset to about 2:00 as mounted. This does limit options slightly (there are a whole batch of CS-130 applications with different mountings, but identical internals.)

1991-up used a Nippondenso alternator, common to Chrysler vehicles of the era. Swapping in a higher-output unit (like that from a ZJ/WJ/Durango/...) means you're going to be using one with a larger rotor, meaning a larger core, meaning you have to grind the mounting to clear the core. It's been covered here before, so I shan't go into it again.

But, the XJ is an AMC design, and RENIX-era XJs are AMC spec. AMC = "All Makes Compatible." GM sensors and electronics, Bendix control setup, Ford distributor, Toyota transmissions, ... This is a common thing with AMC - they bult their own engines, but everything that bolted to them was an establised part...

Power steering pulleys are typical GM too, and that's for all years I believe. I broke the cheap plastic pulley on my '99 replacement, grabbed a spare steel pulley from my Cadillac box, same size, same grooves, etc.

Back