• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do???

t-frady

NAXJA Forum User
okay i have the 89 xj with an 4.5" lift on 33s it has the natorus d30 and d35 i believe (still trying to learn the jeep stuff) and my question is that im prob going to start to drive it sometimes on the road and i know on some trail one day the d30 and d35 will break would you just weld up the spider gears since i will have to replace them eventually anyways and not waste the money on the lockers???? how bad will the road be on the tires locked front?? Rear?? or both??
i have the peugot tranny and it will fail someday too so i really dont see the reason on spend the money on lockers that wont fit better axles what does everyone think, am i thinking okay i already have a DD but would like to the XJ sometimes.

Thanks for the input everyone

Weld everything up and beat the shit out of it until it breaks and then donate it to the cancer society.

yea but i still want to drive it on the road will the tires hold up and how long will the axles hold up locked on the road

you could weld the front assuming you have the front vacuum disconnect axle. so you wouldnt know it on the street/in 2WD. but if you have the 242 t-case then you dont have the vac disconnect front in which case you should not weld the front. you wouldnt be able to turn very easily at all. as for the rear, welding it woult eat your tires alive and along with those 33's and the D35, youre going to break it sooner rather than later

right the vac disconnect i have the ba-10 peugot tranny so welding the front would be okay at least then i would have 3 wheel drive instead of the 2

planning on breaking axles seems like a bad idea, there are lots of people running those axles, hard but not HARD.
and only the d35 is NOTORIOUS, lots of people running beefed d30s out there.
maybe find a d44/8.8 for the rear? please dont tell us your on a budget.

leave it like it is and practice good driving techniques. It will break soon enough. Save money for d44 or 8.8 rear. or find one cheap and be building it up while your breakin the d35. If you are mainly driving streets, don't weld spiders, tires will wear. and turning will be noisy.

planning on breaking axles seems like a bad idea, there are lots of people running those axles, hard but not HARD.
and only the d35 is NOTORIOUS, lots of people running beefed d30s out there.
maybe find a d44/8.8 for the rear? please dont tell us your on a budget.

What's a 200 mile tow cost?? :) Flatbed is the only way you're getting it home if that d35 craps on you, and it will. Put an 8.8 or D44 on the top of your list.

thanks guys ill keep it the way it is and when it breaks oops ill fix it, like i said its not my dd so not really worried about breaking things and not having anything to drive ill have to try to find a d44..... the 8.8 has to have plates off the d35 welded to it to make it fit dont it????

Back