• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about ARB Bull Bar

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Would someone please tell me why it is so expensive, and justify the quality vs. the price compared to other bumpers? I'm about to buy a new bumper within the next month and I've narrowed it down to ARB or JCR. I thought about the Warn, but this is my DD and that thing is just too damn ugly. I don't want to waste my money so opinions would be helpful...

I like my ARB but I like it even more now that I have reinforced the mounting system. Once I reinforce the D ring tabs it'll even better.

Yes, it is expensive.

It is expensive, and it is heavy, but it's strong, looks good, and offers a ton of protection. I've hit the corners on rocks and trees many times, and with any other bumper I would have smashed my headlights. At first it was hard to justify the cost, but I love it now.

Chris

I have one on my Yota and I love it. I just wish there was some way to fab it to fit the XJ.

As muchas I LOVE my ARB bar, I would reccomend to you that you go with the JCR unit, it is very well built and a great value...kinda wish it had been around when I went ARB.
The JCR team is also a great supporter of this club and guys that actually wheel XJ's.

Rev

I like my ARB. I like how it tucks my Winch out of public view. I like it protecting high on my front end. I have used that portion as a skid at times. You know, when your close to making it, it will slide your front over just enough to clear.
Strength wise, I'm not extremly impressed. I have bent mine, and I do Cringe every time I need to use those dam washer tabs. Anyone know a good way to Re-enforce?

Jeremy

88XjLaredo said:
Would someone please tell me why it is so expensive, and justify the quality vs. the price compared to other bumpers? I'm about to buy a new bumper within the next month and I've narrowed it down to ARB or JCR. I thought about the Warn, but this is my DD and that thing is just too damn ugly. I don't want to waste my money so opinions would be helpful...

Well doesn't it come up from austrailia, or do they have a place in the US to make them too? That could count for some of that $$.
I actually like the look of the Warn unit, but it is also too expensive for my budget.

The Warn bumper is beefy, almost to the point of overkill. It's mostly 1/4" all over. The mounting system for it is unreal. It uses almost every available bolt hole and you could drill more as it has the spots for more bolts. Try and score some pics of the mounting system, it may change your mind.

Another point where it has the ARB beaten is approach angle. The ARB face is squared to the ground, meaning it's just a big battering ram. The Warn unit has all sloped faces, allowing you to push yourself up an obstacle if need be.

However, with that said, the thing is a brick. It's very, very heavy for it's size. The grill guard model weighs, IIRC, 250lbs or greater with a winch. I'm looking at scoring a used model and removing the grill guards to save some weight on the front end.

88XjLaredo said:

I bought a used ARB for my XJ earlier this year. I've always loved the look of an ARB but it's not holding up like I thought it would. The single walls of the end caps right in front of the tires are weak. I've torn both sides on separate occasions. I cut it off where the double walling ends. If I did it all over again I'd probably go with a different bumper.

The red line top the right is where the bumper cap originally came too. I snagged it on something and it ripped exactly where the doble wall stopped. The slanted red line to the left is where it ripped to and I cleaned it up with a plasma cutter and grinder.

2q81xth.jpg

I'd have to agree with everyone else on this one. With the price of a new ARB being $720-$780 (depending on 96- or 97+) plus shipping I don't know if I'd spend that much. However I got mine awhile back from someone used (great shape) for about half that, if I hadn't and was to buy a bumper now, it would be something like a C-Rok or Protofab.

I dont have any cool bumpers yet but have also been researching. Recently an ARB was available on ebay pretty cheap at $500 (well ok compared to the regular sell price). I also love the look of the ARB and the protection of the grill guards. Another option that looks just as sexy and strong would be a Hanson bumper. Expensive as well but its another option. http://www.hansonenterprise.com

I'm still trying to decide....grrr. So many choices.

got the arb 3 yrs ago and love it...would buy again...dont let the price scare you...does need a little triming if you get over 33s and 4 in lift...i have 8in long cust long arm on 33s and well never look back...now on rear i have a tjm...junk and over priced....run forrest run...||charles||
447v042.jpg

The Proto Fab is at a good price. The aproch angle is grate and the winch is well protected. and the guard protects the grill.
50DSCN1531-med.jpg

So far i like it id has been used with no problem

ckh550 said:
It is expensive, and it is heavy, but it's strong, looks good, and offers a ton of protection. I've hit the corners on rocks and trees many times, and with any other bumper I would have smashed my headlights. At first it was hard to justify the cost, but I love it now.

Chris

"any other bumper I would have smashed my headlights"

<Dr Evil Voice>Riiight</Dr Evil Voice>.. So you're saying only the ARB is capable of protecting your headlights? Hehe. Please avoid generalizing to the point of absurdity in the futurer. :conceited

The TNT Customs bumper has just as much protection and it's $300 less. It also has a better mounting system, a skid plate, and the highest approach angle of any bumper (that I'm aware of) for the XJ--short of running no bumper at all.

Mark Smith said:
Please avoid generalizing to the point of absurdity in the futurer.

The TNT Customs bumper has just as much protection and it's $300 less. It also has a better mounting system

You may like your TNT bumper, and it seems to be a good unit, but the above statements do not reflect the facts.

xjrockrunnerfrontsample3.jpg
Chrysler_pic4.jpg

Seems to be quite a bit more front end protection on the ARB unit, might be the same for your rock guys, but those of use that run tree lined trails need that extra tube.

The mounting systems are very similar between the two, the both use an extra plate to extend and reinforce the bumper mounts.

They are BOTH good bumpers.

Rev

You would pic the worst photo on their site as an example. :D

Here's a more accurate description (see pic). With all of the options, this bumper is around $560. It also weighs about 80lbs less than the ARB (yet it's equally as strong, possibly stronger--look at the triangulation and the quality DOM tubing used).

xjrockrunnerfrontsample10.jpg

The TnT uses either a sandwich plate mount or a 4bolt option. Tied into the frame.

It also costs about $25 to bend and add more tubing if you should so desire.

I'm not saying the ARB isn't a good bumper. I'm saying it's way overpriced. Wanna use the coating as the excuse? Anyone who is wheelin isn't using powder coating on a regular basis. Rattle can Rustoleum Hammered is cheap and it can be touched up for free. :D

Last edited:
Mark Smith said:
You would pic the worst photo on their site as an example. :D

Here's a more accurate description (see pic). With all of the options, this bumper is around $560. It also weighs about 80lbs less than the ARB (yet it's equally as strong, possibly stronger--look at the triangulation and the quality DOM tubing used).

xjrockrunnerfrontsample10.jpg

The TnT uses either a sandwich plate mount or a 4bolt option. Tied into the frame.

It also costs about $25 to bend and add more tubing if you should so desire.

I'm not saying the ARB isn't a good bumper. I'm saying it's way overpriced. Wanna use the coating as the excuse? Anyone who is wheelin isn't using powder coating on a regular basis. Rattle can Rustoleum Hammered is cheap and it can be touched up for free. :D

No offense but even spiffed up that bumper looks like ass.

Back