• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes

guzzirider

NAXJA Forum User
I think it is time to do the rear brakes on the wife's 2000 XJ with 138K. They are starting to squeal and pull left on initial braking. I did the fronts at 110K

Any tricks to this, any additional hardware that needs to be replaced??

Depends on the condition of the springs and other doodads in there. Make sure you clean the adjusters well and regrease them. There are small contact points where the sides of the shoes rest against the backing plate. Make sure they're smooth. A little emery cloth will touch them up if not.

If you're pulling on braking, it may be more of the fronts. You might pull them and check the pads and rotors too. Scuff them up a bit too if you see any glazing.

for the extra few bucks, you should go ahead and change the adjusters and springs. They all have been heat cycled a bazillion times and loose tension over their lifespan. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "my self adjusters don't work" and upon inspection the hardware and adjusters are just plain worn out and rusted in place (with brand new shoes!)

For about 75 bucks, you can get upgraded shoes, spring kits, and the adjuster kit that replaces everything behind your drums. It's worth the few extra dollars for that peace of mind. I replaced my rears at about 100k and everything was toast.

Back