• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk from rear

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
My '96, Country, all stock, has an annoying problem. Upon releasing the brakes and starting to move after stopping, will give a nice clunk as you pull away. It's as if the rear axle had wound up, and now the torque of the wheels is rolling it the other way. An easy stop may give nothing, and a more brisk stop will give a nice thump. I've had my son 'brake torque' it while I watched (safely) from the side, and it seems that the axle is rolling in relation to the force exerted. Does this sound like a broken spring? The vehicle rides and handles fine otherwise, has recent shocks that are tight and I don't think are the problem. It currently has almost 130k mi., but has done this since I bought it with 104k about a year and a half ago. Thanks

We have four XJs, and my '96 is the only one that does it. I just viewed in Similar Threads that others have had the problem, the most popular causes being a binding slip yoke (unlikely, but easy to diagnose), or sloppy bushings on the leaf springs, on the body (front) end. I'm still not liking the way the axle seems to roll with the application of torque.

Check the spring and shackle bushings. The axle wrap your observing is normal but sloppy bushings could cause some binding that releases when you move forward.

I guess the way to diagnose the slip yoke is to pull the shaft and grease it. Others have suggested a lubricant with nickel in it. How about a very light coat of anti-seize?

Back