• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6 swap

nbpmotorsports

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've searched and looked and didn't find anything about this.
I have a '92 XJ w/a tired 4.0 (piston connecting pin knocking).
I sent out a 4.0 to be built and stroked to a 4.6. I'm going to strip the old block for intake, pumps and pulleys, sensors and buying new header, throttle body, MAP. Do I need to do anything with the CPU? If I do, who specializes in this? I would like to do it right the first time and not have any problems with it. I'm trying to do this in a weekend because this is my DD.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and help.
KT

first off you probably shoud read the guide to searching, this forum works pretty weird as far as the parameters go. It is one of the more brought up topics on here.

Check the street and performance forums, there is lots of stuff there. The CPU will work fine, you may want a map adjuster, you can build it or buy it on ebay. You will also probably want to get some 24lb injectors as well. As far as ecu's there is the megasquirt system and there are setups like the psc-1. Good luck on the weekend swap.

also, its not a swap if the same kinda motor came out, and then went back in.
let me get this straight, you bought a stroker without doing research? and plan on installing it over a weekend? and you start a thread on SATURDAY MORNING asking for help? cardinal sin, your lucky others are nice.

engine install over the weakend? do-able,tuning a new stroker... do-able....
but when your here saturday morning, chances are your gonna have to borrow a honda for monday

http://www.lunghd.com/Off_Site_Tech.htm

About half way down is several links that deal with fully building, installing, and fine tuning strokers. And for everyone else he's not talking about doing it this weekend just wants to get everything prepared so it can be done in a weekend's time frame. For the intake I'd recommend getting one from a 99+ model as it will give a little more power than the earlier one's.

http://www.lunghd.com/Off_Site_Tech.htm

About half way down is several links that deal with fully building, installing, and fine tuning strokers. And for everyone else he's not talking about doing it this weekend just wants to get everything prepared so it can be done in a weekend's time frame. For the intake I'd recommend getting one from a 99+ model as it will give a little more power than the earlier one's.

Thank you Dave.
No I wasn't planing on doing it this weekend. I'm not a newbie or your typical jeep owner. I like to check the water before I jump in. Someone in my Jeep club told me that I needed to reprogram the CPU when I installed the stroker, so here I am. He's one of those typical Jeep owners that thinks he knows it all, then lets someone else do the work on his Jeep.
I bought this XJ 5yrs ago for $500. It sat in a barn for 3yrs and wouldn't start. I replaced the fuel tank, filter, starter and battery and got it running with in a weekend. The following weekend I installed a 5.5" lift, and built a front and rear bumpers. Thank all of you that helped, and for the others, thanks for your 2cents.

l_978bc16a360ef28d0964a0530bb08f50.jpg

By no means am I anywhere near an expert on strokers or have read even a fraction of all the info out there about them. But from what I have read I don't remember to many people having to reprogram the ECU just getting an adjustable MAP so they can fine tune their air/fuel ratio.

I honestly took the adj map off. I was uneasy about the fact that with my bigger injectors I would need to lean it out, and the map adjustor would pretty much only work as a broad adjustment across the entire range, which could lead to detonation and breaking stuff at WOT. I ended up just finding a set of LT1 injectors from a camaro that had been rebuilt and those made it purr like a kitten. It runs a tad rich which I am ok with.

Back