• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking brake handle - searched

Mechanic_Dave

NAXJA Forum User
I have an odd problem I think... my parking brake handle button is broken off. This was from the PO, maybe a break in. The button is gone, shattered and the handle does not stay up. Was almost a problem during the insurance inspection, but he was more concerned to see if it would stop the vehicle then park the vehicle. Anyway, I have had a look at wreckers, and I am not completly sure how to get one off, or for that matter, what all is involved. I can find little or no info on the process. Do I need a cable, spring, or just the handle it self? I can see a little push nut and pin on the wreckers that may cause the handle to come off, but I couldn't get that off with tools I had with me. Any pointers?

The button is plastic, that rod thats in there is NOT threaded, it's ringed so you can't screw on a button. When mine broke in my 98 I saved the button but had the dealer install a new emergency brake handle, it's an assembly and cost about $110 installed. I then took my old assembly and made a new button out of a piece of aluminum I had laying around then epoxied it in the old handle. That was 6 years ago and the new one has not broken but my spare is ready to go...
The 97+ buttons are square which meant alot of filing on my part..

Can you find a new assembly in a local junkyard and just swap the whole lever out?

How is it removed though? Do I have to take the hinge and everything? I am a backyard mechanic of moderate skill, I usually learn everything by looking at diagrams.. haven't found any.

You'll have to pull your console, unhook the rod (goes from the handle assembly to the adjuster linkage) from underneath the vehicle at the adjuster linkage, and the the whole assembly is attached to the floorpan with two (I think) bolts. Everything should just lift out from there.

As you go through disassembly, it will become more obvious to ya.

Anybody got a MOPAR part number for the parking brake lever for a 1997 XJ? Mine did the same thing this morning, I can't stand the local Stealer so I need to order this on line.

Thanks,

Mark

i picked one up at pick a part yesterday about 12 bucks for the whole handle! you will only need a screw driver to remove the center console a ten mil to remove the handel and a 13 to remove the nuts that hold the parking brake cables! it pulls right out through the top took me about 20 minutes to pull it at the yard!
-chad

I tried 8 ways to patch it and it always popped off, so I went to the local JY and pulled the whole thing, handle and all, and it has not given me any more problems.

You'll have to pull your console, unhook the rod (goes from the handle assembly to the adjuster linkage) from underneath the vehicle at the adjuster linkage, and the the whole assembly is attached to the floorpan with two (I think) bolts. Everything should just lift out from there.

As you go through disassembly, it will become more obvious to ya.
X2, bring a ratchet and a flat wrench, you'll want both. Also, you may want to bring a knife to cut out a little bit of floor material around the bolts to make them easier to get to.

If you still have the original button get some expoxy and kind of fill the button, not to over flowing, you don't want to epoxy it to the inside of the tube, you want to epoxy it to the metal rod. Stick the button onto the metal rod and hang it upside down so the epoxy stays inside the button and just keep it as a spare. Thats what I did only I made a new button out of aluminum and expoxy'd that in, it's my spare.

Back