• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper/tire carrier/hitch question

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody built a rear bumper/tire carrier using their trailer hitch receiver as a base? I'm thinking that I want to build a tire carrier and I want to keep my hitch where it is... it's already too high for our boat... it's really not holding me back anywhere I go...

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T do this? it seems like it would be a good, sturdy bracket... if anyone has done this, do you have any pictures?

I used the hitch bracket, but not how you are asking.
I removed the mounting brackets off it, used mounts that went inside the frame rails and welded those to the hitch.

using the stock hitch would make for a rather low bumper.

well, the way I'm seeing it, is I'd weld a couple pieces of tubing to the hitch and come up with them. it would hopefully put the bumper in approximately stock location... I just don't want my hitch any higher than it already is... because I DO tow with it.

sounds like a plan, granted you can buy a drop hitch which will lower your ball to the desired height.
My bumper may weigh about 60lbs, other than the stock hitch piece its just 2x2 3/16 wall square stock. I wanted to keep weight down, and still provide protection. I don't tow that often, but have towed a 4x8 Uhual without any problems with a 3 3/4" drop hitch.

I already have a 4.5" drop hitch, and it's not low enough... when launching our boat, the motor's (I think it's called a skeg) scrapes on the ground because the tongue is too high...

so any ojections other than it possibly being lower than most?

thats what i did with my stock hitch. i welded 2 peices of 2x2 square tube from the bottom of my bumper to the top of the hitch. its much stronger than that panzy strip of 1/4in flatbat that other companied use to tie into the frame.

Kind of hard to see in the pic but if you look at the end of hitch tube you can see my 2x2 supports.

mattbumper001-1.jpg

I have to use a 6" drop on mine.

Someone on here has a great one, I have a local guy that might make me one if I can scrape up the $$$.

1663453248_17c88b60da.jpg

These are great guys! Keep 'em coming!

jpcherokeekid:

Do you have any more pics of your bumper? I REALLY like that! it looks really good! pretty much exactly what I want to do!

Ill have to see if i can snap some more tomorow. is there anything specific u want a close up of?

underside and side view maybe? did you take the hitch off to build it?

ok ill try tomorow, and no i left the hitch on as there is no point in taking it off.

awesome! thanks! did you even leave it on to paint? I'm asking this cause I did a shackle re-location, and welded my hitch to it a little bit... (a little run-over... *oops*) so it would be work to take it off......

Ok here are some better pics of the supports. i only put a bead on the front side of the support where it meats the bumper just in case i have to take either one off so i dont have to spend hours cutting it appart. its still more than strong enough that way and much stronger than those other bumpers that use the 1/4in flatbar nutstrip to tie into the frame.

100_0908.jpg

100_0909.jpg

Last edited:
that's awesome! I now know what I'm doing! A couple more questions...

1. Where'd you get your latch/what is it?

2. does the tire flop back and forth close to the window under hard bouncing? I'm running 35's, and these kind of questions pop into my head for a tire that big...

3. anything you'd do differently?

im using a 3/4in bolt 3in long to screw into the bumper. i have no rattles with that at all, verry solid. the only thing id do differently is use some thinner 3x4 square tubing for the bumper. 3/8s wall is a little heavy lol.

jpcherokeekid:
Digg it.
Just so I got it straight tho. The bumper is welded to the hitch, which is bolted to the frame and there are no other connections to the Jeep right(wiring doesn't count)?

I've got one of the factory tire carriers(free) that do not have an arm/hinge to the quarter panel, bumper mount only. Don't have all the hardware to mount it like stock and the bumper mounting point is bent. Might try and build it into a new bumper from the pivot up and mount to hitch.

jpcherokeekid:
Digg it.
Just so I got it straight tho. The bumper is welded to the hitch, which is bolted to the frame and there are no other connections to the Jeep right(wiring doesn't count)?

I've got one of the factory tire carriers(free) that do not have an arm/hinge to the quarter panel, bumper mount only. Don't have all the hardware to mount it like stock and the bumper mounting point is bent. Might try and build it into a new bumper from the pivot up and mount to hitch.

Im using the 8 factory mounting holes for the bumper with my own custom bracket, and the supports that are welded to the hitch are there to keep the bumper from moving or flexing with all the weight. verry solid that way.

Back