• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Center Caps

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't know exactly where to put this so here goes... I was browsing around and stumbled upon this. The AEV commander. Obviously it has soft 8's, but what cetner caps are on it? The wheels look to be painted. I'm just trying to find a decent looking way to cover up my ugly rusting hubs. And the ridiculous 6" long chrome bullet center caps are out of the question.

IMG_2339.JPG

not sure, but I have seen a thread where someone took theose fugly 6" center caps, cut 3" off and nipped slices around the edge so it could be folded back and held on like the stock lip.

a thought

I think soft 8's come in that color now, I THINK so anyway....thought they introduced another color (silver or gunmetal) along with the black and chrome as currently offered. Also remember the Commander has a different bolt pattern so I suppose they could have used a center cap from another type of wheel.

What's wrong about the Crager center cap? If you don't like the chrome they can be repainted as well.

l_aab4db7e7ddf8780413085d8eacd0bb5.jpg

Ahhh I forgot the commander was a different pattern. I like the idea about cutting the chrome ones though. I don't like the way they stick out wayyy too far. And the chrome. Just draws too much attention I guess.

I had found one company that sold center caps that were black powercoated. I bought a set and after talking to the guy they said no body sold em so they bought chrome ones, striped them down and powercoated them. They wern't bad, maybe $35 for a set. I'll have to see if I still have their site bookmarked.

Nah they won't work I've already looked at those. I have a whole bunch laying around. The outter edge sticks upward, and there would be no way to sttach them short of gluing them.

Why not call or email AEV and ask them where they got those centercaps? Those guys are pretty nice and are usually glad to answer any questions. My bet is that they are stock style caps modded to fit.

not sure, but I have seen a thread where someone took theose fugly 6" center caps, cut 3" off and nipped slices around the edge so it could be folded back and held on like the stock lip.

a thought

That was me! Here are some pics again. I like em much better like this now.

Before:

After:

I didn't know exactly where to put this so here goes... I was browsing around and stumbled upon this. The AEV commander. Obviously it has soft 8's, but what cetner caps are on it? The wheels look to be painted. I'm just trying to find a decent looking way to cover up my ugly rusting hubs. And the ridiculous 6" long chrome bullet center caps are out of the question.

IMG_2339.JPG

i'm not a fan of the commader at all.... but that one looks cool!
sorry to get off topic

Looks like those Crager caps were painted flat black. Definitely not factory considering that you can see the Crager logo/letters were painted over.

Not paint! They are powder coated and there is no chrome under the powder coat where I have scratched them. I bought the Jeep with those wheels on it and I don't care how the Jeep looks as you can tell, so I didn't paint them!

I'll check with the PO and see what he did to them.

Not paint! They are powder coated and there is no chrome under the powder coat where I have scratched them. I bought the Jeep with those wheels on it and I don't care how the Jeep looks as you can tell, so I didn't paint them!

Same thing. My point was they didn't come from the factory like that.

So if somebody else doesn't like chrome, you see that you can modify the chrome items to another color quite easily if you prep right.

Back