• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 cherokee wont stay started

Jesusfreak0190

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 4.0 Cherokee and for some reason when its cold it wont stay started. it turns over and starts up instantly but once I let go of the ignition it turns off. as long as I hold the key in the crank position it will stay on but obviously burns up the starter once its warmed up i will stay on. the ignition switch has been changed and so has the crank position sensor. I am out of ideas and NEED HELP!!! any ideas?

I'll go with Ballast resistor. You can simply bypass it (use a jumper) and see it it's fixed. The ballast resistor is bypassed during startup. It merely reduces the voltage to the fuel pump to quiet it down.

No ASD on a 90 that I know of. If anyone disagrees, PLEASE tell me where it is as I chased that idea for weeks on my 90 before I finally replaced the ballast resistor (which worked). I'd go with that.

You can at least jump the 2 wires and see if it works. If it does, drop the $8 bucks for a new one.

No ASD on a 90 that I know of. If anyone disagrees, PLEASE tell me where it is as I chased that idea for weeks on my 90 before I finally replaced the ballast resistor (which worked). I'd go with that.

You can at least jump the 2 wires and see if it works. If it does, drop the $8 bucks for a new one.

Hello. I am having a similar problem with my 97 grand cherokee 4.0L. Where is the ballast resistor????? Please help me out.

Back