• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backup lights wont work

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed tonight that they wont go on when put in reverse, I added a hitch wiring kit a while back but they worked fine after, it was just the type that plugs into a few harnesses in the back so I dont think thats the problem. What do I look into, fuses, any other connections, bulbs are outta the pic because both went at the same time.

Do a search for NSS (neutral safety switch)...They get dirty over time and need to be taken apart and cleaned....VERY easy job provided you have just a little common sense. Taking my time and making sure I did everything properly it took me about 45 minutes to pull one off a 98, clean it, grease it back up, and re-install it. This saves you a TON of money (new switches retail well over $100 at the dealer).

There's a very good write up with step by step pictures that I used to help me and it made it incredibly easy.

i did go wheelin in the mud this weekend and I think it stopped after that, im gonna go by the jeepin.com instructions sometime this week, any thing else I should know?

solditforajeep said:
i did go wheelin in the mud this weekend and I think it stopped after that, im gonna go by the jeepin.com instructions sometime this week, any thing else I should know?
MUDDING!Thats why mine quit working,well working every now and again.Mud is fun I do agree but theres a price to pay even if its free.:dunno:

I dont really see how mud could get inside the NSS...unless you sunk it in mud, those things are assembled pretty tight..

You never mentioned what year XJ you have?

Remember there's a vent on the top with short hose. Some guys remove it and run a longer hose up the harness to make sure the end stays up and out of any water/mud.

I just ordered mine off of an Ebay store, $160.00 USD for a brand new one. (Plus shipping of course.)
Every parts store around my area (Edmonton, Alberta) wanted around $720.00 for a new one. There weren't any used ones listed on Ebay for 98+ so i was stuck with buying new.
And calling around to the junk yards, they didn't even have any used ones...

I couldn't even start my Jeep this past weekend when i was on some trails. I start a new job this coming Monday so i need to make sure i get to work on time. ;)

Back