• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Hey what's up guys?

Alright well I have a 89 cherokee w/ ac and I just changed out the serpentine drive belt & one of the pulleys because the bearings froze and it wouldn't spin anymore, now that I replaced it the belt is still squeaking everytime I turn it on, even during the hot daytime. Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Robert

Also check to see that your harmonic balancer isn't separating.

Have you used a tension gauge? If not, it's probably too loose. This thing needs to be a lot tighter than you would ordinarily think. A quick check is to take the belt at its longest unsupported span and twist it. It should be just barely possible to twist it 90 degrees.

NAPA sells a belt tension gauge that fits in your shirt pocket, about $14, called a Krikitt II. very useful...

If you have the tensioning screw under the PS, it's been suggested you tighten it until it stops squeaking. Just give a turn or two and try - but the 90 belt twist is a nice place to start.

Hey, i have the same problem. I thought it was just that i got a bad new belt but i put the old one back on and the squeal was still there. so i tried making the belt really tight and it stopped squealing for about thirty seconds, then it came back. I dont know what else to do. Any help is appriciated greatly.(the squeal is making me go nuts)

I replaced my belt a couple of weeks ago with a Gatorback. Great. Then a week ago, I turned on the AC and something screeched like a banshee.
It was the idler pulley. Replaced it and tightend everything properly, now everything is serene.

Back