• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you feel about j/y solenoids?

bigalpha

I'm having some issues with my tranny and plan on dropping the pan to test the solenoids. I plan on replacing them if they are bad.

There is a pullapart that is within 45 min. from where I live.

How do you feel about putting j/y solenoids in your tranny; assuming that their resistance tests out fine?

I have no problem with j/y solenoids, considering what they want for new ones.

I sold a set of 89 solenoids to someone putting them into a 98. He told me that the solenoids bolted up, but that the connector for them was on the other side and he had some difficulty getting them plugged back in (I think he had to plug them in and them bolt them up?). Not a showstopper, but there may be some minor differences.

Cool, I just wanted some opinions, so whenever I get around to dropping my tranny pan, I can go to a j/y and pull some solenoids out for waaay cheaper.

Even if there is no battery or anything hooked up, the solenoids should measure some resistance, right? So, I can test it at the j/y?

Cool, I just wanted some opinions, so whenever I get around to dropping my tranny pan, I can go to a j/y and pull some solenoids out for waaay cheaper.

Even if there is no battery or anything hooked up, the solenoids should measure some resistance, right? So, I can test it at the j/y?

Yes. The solenoids themselves only have one wire to each solenoid, and the grounding is through the body of the solenoid. So you'd set you meter to ohms
and put one test lead to the connector and the other to the metal body of the solenoid.

What kind of meter do you have? No offense, but I'm just curious if you're measuring resistance correctly. The meter should be set for ohms (the Ω symbol). I have seen a few meters that require you to move the test lead to a different socket when measuring resistance versus voltage.

Yes. The solenoids themselves only have one wire to each solenoid, and the grounding is through the body of the solenoid. So you'd set you meter to ohms [/size]and put one test lead to the connector and the other to the metal body of the solenoid.

What kind of meter do you have? No offense, but I'm just curious if you're measuring resistance correctly. The meter should be set for ohms (the Ω symbol). I have seen a few meters that require you to move the test lead to a different socket when measuring resistance versus voltage.

So, how does a solenoid actually go bad? Does the inner workings of the solenoid just wear out?

Here is a pic of the meter I'm using:
61361.jpg

I connect the black lead into the "COM" port and the red lead into the "VΩ" Port. When I measure V, I rotate the knob to "VDC 20" and when I measure Ohms, I rotate the knob to "Ω 200".

A solenoid can go bad by the windings getting an internal short which shows up as a low resistance, or the windings break which shows up as a really high or infinite resistance. Nice meter. Sounds like you're using it properly. (I had to ask since occasionally you do get someone with limited knowledge about using one).

Well, how common is it to get 3 bad solenoids? One C15 continually is getting really high resistance, like 30-60 ohms. The other C14, 16 aren't getting anything.

Other than bad solenoids, I can't think what would cause these abnormal readings. There were a few other anamolies too, but I listed those under my other thread.

I'm borrowing the meter from a buddy. I actually have limited knowledge about using his, but I just started with trial and error to find out which setting would give me the desired reading. :)

I wonder what it takes to make them go bad, outside of it just giving up tha smoke.
I know nothing last forever.... but could there be some kind of an electrical spike of a sorts that could do this (without the actual wiring from the TCU shorting)?
Anyone ever contimplated what would (or could) acutally do it?

Last edited:
I wonder what it takes to make them go bad, outside of it just giving up tha smoke.
I know nothing last forever.... but could there be some kind of an electrical spike of a sorts that could do this (without the actual wiring from the TCU shorting)?
Anyone ever contimplated what would (or could) acutally do it?

It must just be the repeated use. The internals probably just get tires and are like, "F this".

Back