• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

when did jeeps go to FI

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
i am now looking to get a wrangler and need one with FI and not a carb but i dont know which year they started with FI on the wranglers
anyone help????

Early (pre 1991) 4-cyl engines were fuel injected via throttle body - 2.5L
Second gen (post 1992) 4-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 2.5L

Early (pre 1991) 6-cyl engines were carb'd - 4.2L
Second gen (post 1991) 6-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 4.0L

And of course the TJ's and LJ's are also EFI'd.

12GaugeXJ said:
Early (pre 1991) 4-cyl engines were fuel injected via throttle body - 2.5L
Second gen (post 1992) 4-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 2.5L

Early (pre 1991) 6-cyl engines were carb'd - 4.2L
Second gen (post 1991) 6-cyl engines are fuel injected via MPI (Multi-Port Injection) - 4.0L

That info would be on the YJ, FYI.

thanks guys! now i know i can be safe while looking around. ( i will stay 1995 or newer) now if i can ask another questions, which years does everyone prefer?

I personally prefer the TJ's (97-06), but I am biased since I own a 98.

I wouldn't mind owning a 91-95 YJ, but only for a part-time vehicle. I feel the TJ's are much more practical for everyday use.

I don't know if the wranglers used the 0331 heads nor do I know if you want to buy that new of a vehicle, but the 99' 00' 4.0s with the 0331 casting head had problems with cracking. You can identify the head by looking inbetween the #3 &#4 cylinders on the driver's side of the engine right beside the valve cover.

Back