• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension question. (possibly dumb, bare with me)

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I just installed a Clayton long arm kit. I love the kit, handles great flex's great blah, blah, blah. With the radius arm set-up, I know having the OEM style rubber bushing on the UCA axle side helps in allowing the suspension to flex by removing some of the bind caused by the twisting motion... I get it. My question is this, why could you not just leave the jam nut loose on the johnny joint side? Wouldn't this allow infinite uca flex, and cause no binding whatsoever on the the upper arms while the suspension is twisted? Both ends are captured, meaning they cant come loose and because of that, the arm cant length or shorten on its own. The threads in the arm will obviously hold up to the stresses, and the arms would be able to twist freely while the ends are securely mounted.

This "theory" also holds true for the lower arm jam nut on the johnny joint.

Am I over thinking this? Would it make any difference in allowing the suspension to flex more easily?

Just curious....

~James

The binding is in the form of the axle wanting to twist/roll.What you proposed will do nothing for that.

Back