• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question bout lockers

so heres the question i have come across a set of 456s and an EZlocker for a dana 30 but a buddy of mine has said he doesnt know whether or not the locker for the 456s will fit into my 355s so my question is will it fit.....and 2 how does this locker handle on road with it being up front

thanks in advance i was sure what to search for for the question so sorry if its already out there

it will fit and you won't even know its there on the road. i have one in mine and the only time you know its there is a full lock turn it clicks, other than that youll forget its there

I believe that the carier break is 3.73 and up, so you'll need a new carrier for your front if you want to use those gears. Cheap enough though, especially if you get a good deal on gears.
Never had a front locker, so I can't comment.

mud-dog27 said:
damn a carrier swap is more work than i wanna do at this point....so the locker wont fit into the 3.55s

The locker will fit into the 3.55 carrier. There is no carrier break for the locker. There is a carrier break for the gears.
You can use the locker he has for sale as long as you have a D30 and the locker is for a D30. If you choose to use the 4.56's you will need a new carrier, and will have to reset the gears.

mud-dog27 said:
damn a carrier swap is more work than i wanna do at this point....so the locker wont fit into the 3.55s
the locker will fit, the 3.55's

Haleyes said:
The locker will fit into the 3.55 carrier. There is no carrier break for the locker. There is a carrier break for the gears.
You can use the locker he has for sale as long as you have a D30 and the locker is for a D30. If you choose to use the 4.56's you will need a new carrier, and will have to reset the gears.
Mike explained that much better than I, he is correct, the locker will work fine with 3.55's or 4.56's, but to install the 4.56's into the 3.55 axle you'll need a new carrier.

87manche said:
Mike explained that much better than I, he is correct, the locker will work fine with 3.55's or 4.56's, but to install the 4.56's into the 3.55 axle you'll need a new carrier.

Thanks.:smoker:

mud-dog27 said:
this is workin out good as i just found a near new locker for my 35 for cheap

Make sure you carry spare shafts!

mud-dog27 said:
ok then thanks yea at first i was a little confused but thats for the info now to gather my money together and talk to this guy see iff he'll sell just the locker this is workin out good as i just found a near new locker for my 35 for cheap

if its a non c-clip 35 (older cherokee's) it should hold up really well, i know a few who run it locked with great success, still carry spare shafts tho, i carry a full set for my d30 and 8.25

You live in the great white north. Do you drive this Jeep in the winter? I know the advice was that its invisable on the road but if "on the road" means winter driving, you may want to reconsider or at least ask specifically how it will handle on the raod in snow and ice when 4WD is needed.
Also, X295, Its a lunchbox locker and will fit any 30, doesnt matter where the carrier break is or if its high or low pinion..

i have lockrite's in both my 30 and 35 with 456 gears and 33 boggers. never broke a shaft yet only a axle joint. then went to the 297 shafts. not saying it wont break but its all in the left foot. as for the locker run it their nice.

I've got one and noticed it on the street. It also seemed to create more friction.(I may be crazy like all those people say) I've loved it since I did the hub kit. Winter driving can be done with practice...lots of practice. If you have a locker in the rear, you won't use 4 wheel much in winter anyway. Watch out for oversteer though..Yeee Haaww!

Man, I've gotta shut up. I'm getting darn near 600 posts.

One more thing, If you have muds, It'll drive like crap in snow anyway. Get used to it. It's fun.:D

Back