• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Upgrade Wiring Harness needed??

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... I've searched and even checked w/ Jon (5-90) about getting a new headlight wiring upgrade harness to update my headlights. I recently replaced all my battery & ground cables w/the GREAT kit f/ Jon and wanted the headlight wiring as well. Unfortunately he hasn't had enough free time (who does these days... :) ) to get his kit ready for purchase.

So my question to you great people... is who sales the best and best priced kits already put together. I'm aware of Go-Jeeps site and have read his do it yourself version several times... but I'm smart enough to just get myself into trouble trying to create the kit myself. Not only that, since I don't have all the wiring and such laying around the garage it's likely to cost me nearly the same as buying one already done. Not only that, but I don't have to spend the extra time builing the kit... I can just install one.

I've seen the link for the Summit kit, but wanted to see if anyone had a better one, or the same one for a better price. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I already have a nice set of Hella E-Code glass housings and H4 bulbs. I've had those for about 3 or 4 years now w/no problems. I just want to upgrade the wiring to go along w/the vastly superior battery and ground wiring I have now installed thanks to 5-90's kit.

Thanks.

you can also check with fitchva as he did a pretty nice write up on his site but not sure if he's interested or even does sell pre-built kits.

Got the specifics on the harness? Wire gauge, relay brand, is it loomed, etc? Their website doesn't have any details whatsoever, just a picture of a plug.

Ive just done the same battery cable upgrade and also looking to do the headlight wiring. Id like to see what bolt in solutions come up.

I'm looking into building these myself and making them as plug and play as possible, just waiting to hear from fitchva and 5-90 before I commit to anything or prices on them.

Helloo I made mine about 2weeks ago had some where around 40 total in it made a big diff.If I had to do it over again would get relay sockets just would have been a lot better would look a lot better but who see it with the hood closed .

if for no other reason, i am glad i made my own go-jeep harness because it tought me a little about relays, to say the least! now i can wire stuff up, and im no longer one of those people who cant wire a simple light!

Could someone with the Big Offroad harness comment on the wire gauge? I asked, but they won't share any specifics. I'd be mad as hell if I paid them $70 for 14ga wire.

Thanks for the info all. I know Jon (5-90) has his plate full... (he could always send me a 'test' kit to do some beta-testing for him... hint hint...)

I'd also like the details/specs of the kit that Big Offroad sells. I saw what they had listed and pic and it was only a plug-in connector. I'd like to see what all it comes with and more specifics. I thought about trying my hand at making my own kit this weekend while in Auto-zone... but the H4 plug they had looked to me like it used 12 or 14 ga wiring and that's just not good enough if I'm going to spend my time and money making one.

Keep the ideas coming... I appreciate it.

just a follow-up that I'm still looking for ideas. I contacted Big Offroad and they didn't give me any specifics on wire guage and for my $$ I want to know what I'm getting b4 I buy it.

Anyone know the answers or have other suggestions?

Thanks.

Plugs/sockets: http://www.comagination.com/parts.htm

I don't know if anyone has suggested GoJeep but he has a great write up. I forget what gauge wire he used but you can always go up a size. The above sockets handle up to 10 awg.

Note that GoJeep decided to use four relays after his initial write up. This makes for easier trouble shooting and provides a redundancy that I want, particularly for a vehicle that my wife and daughter drive on occasion. Just my opinion -- others have ridiculed this notion.

Back