• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer / Tranny Oil Help

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 automatic 4wd and I know I want Dexron III oil for my tranny and transfer case. Well I stopped by the auto parts store and all I could fined was this Dex/Me stuff (can't remember the second abbriviation but it ME something). Anyways on the back it said that it is used for trannys that require Dexron I, III, III etc. The only sole oil labeled as Dexron was Dexron V.

Little Guidance?

DEXRON-III/MERCON is the stuff you need.

DEXRON -III/MERCON is a petroleum based fluid for automatic transmissions. It is fully qualified as both a DEXRON -III and MERCON lubricant.

There are several synthetic oils on the market. Most oil manufacturers have a synthetic grade. You could use regular Dex III/Merc and be done with it.

I have a 2000 automatic 4wd and I know I want Dexron III oil for my tranny and transfer case. Well I stopped by the auto parts store and all I could fined was this Dex/Me stuff (can't remember the second abbriviation but it ME something). Anyways on the back it said that it is used for trannys that require Dexron I, III, III etc. The only sole oil labeled as Dexron was Dexron V.

Little Guidance?

alot of parts houses don't carry mercon dextron 3 anymore and i am told the makers of it are phasing it out. but what the parts houses now carry says it meets the specs of mecron dextron 3 (the label simply says "atf where mercon dextron3 were previously used"). i am running it now in my aw4 and no problems.

alot of parts houses don't carry mercon dextron 3 anymore and i am told the makers of it are phasing it out. but what the parts houses now carry says it meets the specs of mecron dextron 3 (the label simply says "atf where mercon dextron3 were previously used"). i am running it now in my aw4 and no problems.

As long as its not ATF+4......

x8888
those douchebags at the parts counter need to stop spreading that shit, who knows how many aw4's have been killed using that stuff...

The problem was that Chryco issued that stupid TSB that all of them keep waving around like its the holy bible.

To comment on this,

I went to the dealer today, and they tried to sell me atf+4. 68 bucks for 6 synthetic quarts. Yeah right.

I explained to them that it doesn't work in our aisin tranny's, and they couldn't get me mopar dextron.

I went with the cheap Coastal Dextron III. 18 bucks. Done.

Yea I was kinda pissed that Napa quit selling Dex 2... now they gone with Dex 3..those guys trying to sell me Dex 4...

Back