• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

concerned for my trans....

hombremosqa

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i got the oil problem i had mostly under control, and the u joint as well. thanks for all your help!

now i need more help.
well, information really. i know my xj is completely stock and i get really great gas mileage. on a tank, im averaging 25mpg.

but thats not what i need to know. what i do need to know is what manual trans can i use to swap for the stock peugot?
id like to keep the same gearing, but i dont go off road as much as id like, and with the way my wife drives, we need the MPG. any help is much much appreciated. thanks!

oh sorry its an 88 xj with the 4.0 inline 6.

AX-15. Search, its well covered

You're getting 25mpg with an XJ and that's still not good enough? That's the damn best I've ever heard, I don't think you'll top that by swapping in another manual trans. But the Ax15 would be the swap you'd want for durability for sure!

I think he's swapping for durability; he said he wanted to replace the Peugeot.

id like to keep the same gearing, but i dont go off road as much as id like, and with the way my wife drives, we need the MPG. any help is much much appreciated. thanks!

oh sorry its an 88 xj with the 4.0 inline 6.

I think he's swapping for durability; he said he wanted to replace the Peugeot.

the way its written, im not sure if its for mpg or for durability because of the way his wife drives??

homebre,

the ax-15 swap would also need a transfercase swap as the ax-15 excepts a 23 spline count transfercase and your peugeot is connected to a 21 spline transfercase. you might even need a different pilot bearing.

what is wrong with your peugeot tranny?

well you guys are both right. its to maintain the same mpg, AND keep the transmission from being destroyed. my wife just learned to drive a manual tranny, and she insisted she wanted to learn in my xj, but to say the least, i have noticed a significant difference in the way it feels when i drive it now, so i have relegated the duty of instruction vehicle to my old beater truck. at least if she ruins it, i have a freshly rebuilt t5 i can change out easily.

so back to the topic at hand....

i have heard/know firsthand that the peugot is a piece of crap and like i said, the tranny feels different since she has started driving it. i hear a sound similar to what you hear when you have a bad ujoint, but i have checked all of them, and there is not play in any of them. this leads me to believe that in the not too distant future, i will have to either rebuild or swap. and seeing how this would present the perfect excu- i mean opportunity, i want to swap with something more durable that will last longer. if i HAVE to, ill swap transfer case too, but if there is something out there besides the AX that will drop in without too much mod ( i cant afford the downtime) then it is greatly welcomed. but if it comes down to it, so be it.

Last edited:
Back