• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded d30 plans...

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a lp Dana 30 in the front of my 2000. In the future (or whenever I get a job) I would like to start building a hp 30 for the 35's I would like to run in the near future.

A few other things: on 3.55's and 33's right now, going to 4.56's whenever money allows, running a RK 3 link long arm upgrade, RE hd trackbar and bracket as well with Jcr 1ton steering.

What I would start with would be a hp 30 and strip it of all brackets leaving knuckles and bare tubes.

Get this truss from Treks/TnT with the 3 link upper control arm mount and over axle trackbar.

Add some new sway bar links and 4.56's and go from there. I would need a new trackbar and I could either swap the Jcr steering for something better while I was at it...

Eventually I would go with alloy shafts and a selectable locker with warn locking hubs, diff cover, etc...

Sound like a decent plan of attack? Any other suggestions?

I currently have a lp Dana 30 in the front of my 2000. In the future (or whenever I get a job) I would like to start building a hp 30 for the 35's I would like to run in the near future.

A few other things: on 3.55's and 33's right now, going to 4.56's whenever money allows, running a RK 3 link long arm upgrade, RE hd trackbar and bracket as well with Jcr 1ton steering.

What I would start with would be a hp 30 and strip it of all brackets leaving knuckles and bare tubes.

Get this truss from Treks/TnT with the 3 link upper control arm mount and over axle trackbar.

Add some new sway bar links and 4.56's and go from there. I would need a new trackbar and I could either swap the Jcr steering for something better while I was at it...

Eventually I would go with alloy shafts and a selectable locker with warn locking hubs, diff cover, etc...

Sound like a decent plan of attack? Any other suggestions?

build a 44, it'll be roughly the same price in the end, also run lower gears 4.88 or 5.13 for 35s.

I dont have the fab skills to narrow one the xj width and that is where I would like to stay width-wise. I loved Begsters build but just dont have the skills for something along that line.

I dont have the fab skills to narrow one the xj width and that is where I would like to stay width-wise. I loved Begsters build but just dont have the skills for something along that line.

do a Waggy 44 it's alreadt the right width its just LP but that shouldn't be a problem.

How not? If you can use a cop saw and an angle grinder, you can narrow a 44...

especially if you're going to use a TNT truss / bracket kit... buy the one for the 44 instead, then cut the tubes down, then weld the knuckles on, weld the truss on, done...

high steer changes things a small touch, but then again, its just a different trackbar mount...

If you do stay with a 30, or if you do get a 44, don't screw around with low steer.

For the 30:

Reid Racing knuckles
Tera knuckle with Vanco brake upgrade
WJ knuckles.

For the 44:

High steer.

I have a hp d30 with 488s, and i just ordered the tnt truss and all of the brackets to go along with it. I also plan to keep stock shafts and no locker because i would rather break u jouints than ring and pinion. And no locker to keep it alive(plus i dont think i need one in the front for what i do).

doing a dana44 is definitly more expensive, my friend got quoted at $500 for having it set up to run on the xj (waggy 44) and then another $600 for gearing. So $1100, yet i just found a 4.56 geared dana 30 for $75... hmm bit of a price difference there...

I have a hp d30 with 488s, and i just ordered the tnt truss and all of the brackets to go along with it. I also plan to keep stock shafts and no locker because i would rather break u jouints than ring and pinion. And no locker to keep it alive(plus i dont think i need one in the front for what i do).

Then you do not do much!! Your wasting your money with the rest of the stuff too! If you do not need alloys or a locker then you do not need the truss either!! :rolleyes:

i have been running a polished turdy for the last year or so resonably successfully in big rocks. i did break a ring gear doing somthing stupid in reverse, otherwise no issues so far running 35" creepys.

Its a hp30. RK 3 link, TNT truss, 30 spline inners & outers, CTM's, superior 4.56, ARB, Vanco brakes, bulletproof steering, Crane cover etc

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

jeeparizona051.jpg

I am currently having Warn 27 spline cromoly shaft installed in my low pinion D30 along with a Detroit Truetrack and Warn 5 on 4.5 lock out hubs. I have seen TJ's running the LP Dana 30's with lockers and Warn cromoly shafts and 36" tires on the rocks with no problems. How many people actualy need to go to a D44? Is the D30 LP really that week? I have seen some big TJ's running LP D30's on 35's in the rocks and not breaking anything. I gues I took a chance and decided to stick with my LP D30. I am not going any bigger than 33" tires so I am not worried. I have seen LP D30's take some extensive abuse and not break at all as long as it has warn shafts. From what I have seen and heard it looks like to me that the LP D30 gets a bad rap. Yes the LP D30 is not the toughest axle but I think it is fine for most people on this web site.

I run a LP30 with a Trutrac & stock axles!! I work the crap out of my 30 and have had no issues YET!! I am building a polished HPturdy though....truss, chromo's & ARB. The Trutrac is the only thing I really dislike!!

mattyj, where did ya get the Vanco brakes & how much? What mods did you have to do to get them to work?

Dan, thats along the lines of where I would be starting off at, eventually a selectable and new alloy shafts.

EMR, how did you find that deal, want to make your money back haha?

Matty, I am drooling. That exactly what I would want to end up with in the long run. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you have into that?

Chris, I would stick with what I have got now but with the possibility of 35's in the very near future I would like to upgrade.

Colorado, You running 35's?

After thinking this over and factoring in the whole no job and no money thing I dont think this will be happening anytime soon. Who says I cant dream right! It might get started when I find a hp30 but until then I will keep researching. For now I think I will throw in a set of 4.56's and we'll go from there...

Yes, 35's on stock axles!! And yes I am suprised I have not broken anything yet!

mattyj, where did ya get the Vanco brakes & how much? What mods did you have to do to get them to work?

I bought the brakes direct from Vanco http://www.vancopbs.com/. No mods to get them to work, just bolt em on. A huge improvement over stock.

Matty, I am drooling. That exactly what I would want to end up with in the long run. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you have into that?

I aquired the parts over time and traded some different stuff along the way. So i dont really have a solid price on the whole set up.

i have been running a polished turdy for the last year or so resonably successfully in big rocks. i did break a ring gear doing somthing stupid in reverse, otherwise no issues so far running 35" creepys.

Its a hp30. RK 3 link, TNT truss, 30 spline inners & outers, CTM's, superior 4.56, ARB, Vanco brakes, bulletproof steering, Crane cover etc

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

jeeparizona051.jpg
Looks familiar. I remember that night.:laugh3:

Well either way, that thing is a work of art and exactly what I want. You dont have a build thread or anything for it do you?

No build thread, its all pretty straight forward swapping of parts. Just had to do some custom stuff with the track bar & mount, the krawler joint fitting on the truss & the steering.

Back