• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spool vs. Locker???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly is the difference between a spool and a locker? Is it that a locker is selectable whereas a spool is always locked? Is a spool the equivalent of welding the gears? Also, what's the difference between a spool and a mini-spool?

A spool is locked 100% of the time.
A locker can be selectable or 'auto' depending on which model you chose.
A spool is effectively the same as welding the spiders, but much stronger.
A full spool replaces the carrier.
A mini-spool only replaces the spiders inside the carrier.

Hopefully I got everything. :cool:

Exactly the info. I was looking for. Thanks! So if you went with a mini spool and decided you wanted to go back to an open diff., how hard is it to just put the original spider gears back in?

Exactly the info. I was looking for. Thanks! So if you went with a mini spool and decided you wanted to go back to an open diff., how hard is it to just put the original spider gears back in?
Just swap them back out! ;)
Keep in mind that depending on the model axle you've got the carrier might not be the strongest thing in the world.

Also, before the debate gets started; IMO it is personal preference for the whole spool better than locker thing. One is much cheaper and guaranteed, while the other will allow for cutting brakes and less tire wear. As far as on road driving, thats up to you.

Last edited:
Nope. Go ahead and get an Aussie locker or similar for the front. I run a Detroit locker in the rear axle of my Green Junk and love it, some people like ARBs, some people have a lunchbox locker in the rear and like it.

To me, spools are for non-competition rigs that live on trailers.

I just tried searching for a spool/mini spool for either the Chrysler 8.25 29 spline or Dana 30. Couldn't find any. Does anybody make these?
You just said Dana 30. That's a front axle. Spools in the front are a bit of a problem because both wheels WILL turn at the same rate, and makes turning the vehicle difficult.

You just said Dana 30. That's a front axle. Spools in the front are a bit of a problem because both wheels WILL turn at the same rate, and makes turning the vehicle difficult.

X 2 no spool in the front. You don't have disconnect hubs so even in 2wd it wouldn't turn. A locker is invisible when in 2wd.

You don't want to spool the front, unless you don't intend on turning. :)

I'm spooling the front and I figured out how to counter the whole inner tire moves slower than the outer- different sized tires. problem is I can't find any nascar style trails. . . .

Back