• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibration in 4hi and low

The glory wagon

NAXJA Forum User
chances are my transfer case is shot, but im wondering if there are any other factors/reasons for a nasty clunking in 4 high and 4 low, (93sport 5 speed 4 inch lift) i dont know if i put the front driveshaft in the right way.. the dual u joint cluster is on the trans side, and the single at the axel, i have a 1 inch transfer case drop, with no sye, is there anything im missing or is the transfer case just spent? i all u joints are in good condition, one i did today and it didnt fix it, could the front diff be bad? how do i test that

Is it a clunking or vibration?? How much/often does it happen?? i.e. only on acceleratioin or only on deceleration?

It sounds like you put the front drive shaft in correctly.

You can try taking off the front ds and driving it in 4wd to see if it still happens and do the same with the rear.

How long has this be happening?? i.e. ever since you lifted it?? since the last time you went off-roading?? since you took off the front drive shaft??

All of that helps diagnose the problem.

Elias

i had the front drive shaft out and drove it and it didnt clunk, it clunks every time the driveshaft spins once around i think, im starting to think it is in the front end. It started doing this for the first time ever since i put in a new transmission, i put everything all together, tested the 4wd and now its doing this vibrating clunking, it never did it before i took everything apart, and i know i installed everything properly. and only does it excellerating or keeping a steady speed, not decelerating

I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem.

does yours do it if you floor it in 2wd from stand still? Granted mines a 91 with the vacuum actuator, I think I might be having the same issue. I'm gonna check my eng/trans mounts and retorque my front susp. bolts...

EDIT:scratch that nm...

hmmm..

It sounds like your transfer case and tranny are ok since is didn't make the clunk with the front ds off and in 4wd. There's a small possibility that it's the transfer case is the problem and having the resistance from the ds is revealing it, but I doubt it.

It could be anywhere from your front transfer case yoke to your axles.

Since you already checked the drive shaft, I suggest looking into your front diff.
Put the front on jack stands, put the transfer case in neutral and spin the wheels. You might be able to see or hear the problem while having someone else spin the wheels.

If you don't find it, take off the diff cover to see if everything is ok in there. Make sure you don't have any pieces of metal or shaving in the gear oil or at the bottom of the housing. If it looks ok, then spin the wheels, by hand, while listening for the noise and looking at the inside of the diff. It may take another person to spin the wheels while you look and listen. I no one is around, I use my feet to spin the wheels while looking inside the diff.

That would be my next step. Maybe someone else will have an idea of what to look for first.

I hope this helps.

Elias

Have the front DS cv joint checked. Also is the chain in your Tcase new or origanal, it could be stretched just enough to where it slips when the front DS is hooked up.

good news! i found the problem, the reason i was thinking it was the trasfer case was because the noise was comming right from it, i had it up on the lift and put jiggled the front driveshaft, turns out one of the u joints in that dual u joint cluster thing in the front driveshaft was bad, the noise was just comming from that, which was right next to the driveshaft. I didnt think it was a u joint before because i spun the shaft and it just clinked a little bit and i just passed it off as the tranfser case making that little clink noise, but nope its the u joint.. sorry!

My TCase is doing the exact same thing(89 4.0 Aw4/242). If it were U-Joints, wouldn't they have squealed as they were going out? I had one go out on rear once, and it screamed like a banshee as I tried to get it home. Then, it just went.

That's cool that you found the problem and that it's not a major issue.

WarWagon, not necesary. I never heard them scream before. They either clunk, vibrate, or just go out without any warning. I used to blow threw them on an old CJ5 that I had.

Elias

k i took apart the driveshaft and actually it was the center bearing in between the 2 u joints in the cv end of the front driveshaft.. i replaced the end ujoint while i had it apart, but unfortunatly the quarter sized ball bearing u press in was 50 bucks cost at my work, 100 at napa

Back