• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91-98 alternator: FIT '99..?

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone, who knows for sure, advise how the '99 alternator may be different than the '91-'98 unit, and whether or a unit intended for the 91-98 application can be used in a '99..?

Thanks much.

You might try a couple of online parts houses, and compare the part numbers. Just a suggestion, won't guarantee the info is correct though.

Renix rigs had alternators with internal voltage regulators. And then OBD1 had no internal voltage regulators since it was moved to the PCM. Not sure if it was 98 or 99 (I think starting in 99) but the plugs on the harness to the alternator changes so you might have some problems there...

Hey Steve,
Long time no see! The best help I can currently give, is that it states 91/98 use a 90 amp, where 99/01 uses 117 amp alternator. That's the first and only thing I can see...

98 older alt is different
will not bolt right up. you will need a 99-01 alt for exact drop in replacement. also 98 & older are less amps than 99+

Back