• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Year All Metal Rad (inline 6)?

xjcjfreek

NAXJA Forum User
Did any of the inline 6 xj's come out with an all metal rad? How many rows are they? I need one without the overflow tank, so i believe that would be a closed system? Correct me if im wrong. I dont really have the money for a new one. Thanx

My Renix rig [87/90] came with an all metal radiator, It is the closed system. As far as I know all the H.O. rigs came with the plastic & aluminum pos [open system]. I assume you have an 87/90 without a cap on the rad? I believe all AMC era XJs had all metal rads.

If you're looking to buy aftermarket, go with either radiatorbarn.com or dpgoffroad.com (a sponser here, btw). Both have good reputations and sell the CSF brand all-metal radiators.

Your profile says 1986, which would be the "closed" setup with the plastic, pressurized surge tank up by the firewall.

I have an 86. I put a chevy inline 6 in place of the v6. Im running the stock v6 rad and it just doesnt have enough of a cooling area. I do have a cap on the rad and the overflow tank was (i took it out) on the drivers side inner fender behind the washer fluid tank.
Is this a closed or open system?
There is not alot of room as im sure you're aware, but im thinking a slightly newer era rad would have enough cooling area.
Im running a 12 inch (pusher) electric fan (1100 CFM) at the moment, but I will be upgrading to a 16 inch (pusher) electric fan (2500 CFM) very soon.

not sure if the radiator support would accept the jeep I-6 radiator without modification. shouldnt be too hard though. but when you have the cap on the radiator itself then you have an open system. so youll want to get one from a 91+ XJ. youll obviously need different hoses

The I-6 rad won't fit your radiator support, maybe one from a YJ will work for you. As far as I know 91 up are plastic & aluminum, if not some one will speak up. 4.0 YJ rads also have plastic tanks, I believe the 258 Wranglers have an all metal rad. The YJ radiators resemble the early XJ rads. Why not try to adapt a 20" or 21" crossflow GM rad? 78 & later G bodys might fit & the Nova /Camaro style maybe will fit.

Last edited:
As far as fitting my rad support, that doesn't matter, I'll make it fit. Fabing a support is nothing new. I tried a rad out of a 63 nova but it was too small. And the rad out or a 70 nova is a couple inches too wide. Maybe if I cut into the uniframe a little bit. Hmmmm. I might look into that if its not too much.
Thanx to all.

Back