• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling Questions

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago while wheeling on a loose stone beach, I really overheated the XJ (not quite to redline tho). And what you guys say about the rest of the guage going quick, you aren't lying. Its a '97 with 195XXX on it, and I want to redo the radiator and thermo. I'll obviously be flushing the system. But as far as radiators go what do you feel is better? I've looked at radiator barn (good price and good reviews on here), GDI (Also good reviews and i read that they are all metal and I like that idea). Searching returns small tidbits of info.

I've used the 2 and 3 row core CSF in various Reix & H.O.s & a 4.0 YJ & haven't had any problems that weren't self inflicted. There are minor issues with the way the shrouds fit though. A little trimming on the shrouds might be needed. I believe the cheapo all metal rads are China/Taiwan no matter who sells them.

I've taken care of that, Just worried about the best radiator right now, and members personal experiences

Got my 2 core at Radiatorbarn. Thereare other sources. Either CSF or GDI will do (both all metal, copper core)). You should consider a 3 core since you wheel. Mine's just 2wd (Dad's taxi).

Radiator barn only lists a single radiator for the '97 XJ and it's got plastic tanks.

Edit: Never mind, if you pick 'all models' instead of XJ it brings up some nicer ones. I guess hitting XJ only brings up the OEM style replacement?

Hmmm... Odd they only carry the one (I looked too). Also check out DPG Offroad www.dpgoffroad.com. It's under Engines. They come highly recommended by manyas well.

The 2 core I got was a direct bolt in. I've heard that the 3 is just wider in the core but not at the mounting points. It will sit a little closer to the fan so many opt to replace the mech with an elec fan.

The 2 core I got was a direct bolt in. I've heard that the 3 is just wider in the core but not at the mounting points. It will sit a little closer to the fan so many opt to replace the mech with an elec fan.

I'm not planning on slow rock crawling with this thing, it will be for highway driving and cruising down forest roads for camping and stuff like that. My bet is I can get away with the 2 core. As long as my jeep stays nice and cool with the AC running around town I'm fine.

i purchased the CSF all metal 3 row from radiator barn and i couldnt be happier. DO IT DO IT

Decided to get the 3-row csf from dirk @ dpg (support a supporter), I have just learned that the mech fan clutch I just got is bad, spins free when the engine is hot. So back to napa.

I got the cheapest Radiator @ Radiator Barn for my 2.5L 4 Cyl Cherokee. The original leaking radiator was a single row, the cheap replacement I got from Radiator Barn was/was NOT a 3 row. It was the thickness of a 3 row radiator, but only a single row of elongated tubes that go far wider than most rows. It works great, I have had NO cooling problems that you can attribute to the radiator, once I fixed the remaining cooling problems, the whole system runs great and cools fine. Of course, I don't have a big demand with a 2.5L 4 cyl.

Back