• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:88s too low on 32/33s

XJfire75

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I found a good deal on a set of axles for my XJ.

HP30 and 8.8 with lockers and 4:88 gears. I'm only running 32s right now but I want to upgrade to 33s very soon(just waiting on a good deal). I could trim and clear 35s but dont wannas do all the steering and what not right now.

Anyways the price is real good and I need advice on it quick before someone else snatches them up.

This is my DD BTW.

its definately doable

your rpm's will run a little higher than most, but it won't hurt anything.

you will like the added quickness.

i have 5.38's and wouldn't hesitate running 35's

K the guys asking $500 for both but told me to make him an offer. 2 hour drive too though.
Its a HP30 with 4:88s and a Pwertrx locker and a 8.8 with diskas and locker too I think. Sound like a good deal?
He also said they were from a 96 Cherokee and they would with 86-97. Any differences that would make it not work on my 98?

I hope I can get the cash together.

assuming there is no screwy things he isnt telling you thats a damn good deal for a pair of geared and locked axles

Mosephus- I have the 8.25 yeup.

KTM-
Yeah I know my cousin just geared/locked his 30/35 for a grand and was going to be more but my buddy helped him install the stuff for $200.

Hope I can have the money before they get gone. Just means Ill have to get new tires really soon too durn it...O well....LOL....Who doesnt like new tires...33" KM2s here I come...

I have heard 33"s with 4.88s is actually a really good setup! leaves ya room to upgrade tires without being "Overdone"

I ran 4.88s and 32s for about a year. RPMs were a little high on the freeway, but not to bad.

Your not going to be able to go all that fast(70?), but its a lifted XJ, not a sports car.

Yeah im running 33x12.50 and I think 4.88 are perfect, but thats just my 2cents

K the guys asking $500 for both but told me to make him an offer. 2 hour drive too though.
Its a HP30 with 4:88s and a Pwertrx locker and a 8.8 with diskas and locker too I think. Sound like a good deal?
He also said they were from a 96 Cherokee and they would with 86-97. Any differences that would make it not work on my 98?

I hope I can get the cash together.

that's a sweet deal... provided everything is in good shape.

that is a screaming deal! I swapped a guy his D30 hp and 8.25 for mine, but his had 4.56 gears, a lunchbox locker in front, and a limited slip in rear. I think I got a great buy.

I have 32" MTR's and 4.56, I love it. Way more power... I can actually lay rubber with both tires on asphalt! I would think 33's and 4.88 would be awesome. I run 2,500 rpm and my gps says I am 65mph even. 55mph is 2,000. I have an auto trans.

Buy those suckers or give me his phone number!

I run 4.88s on 33's. On the freeway you can still get going if you really wind it up, but I find 70 to be the practical limit. On other roads I don't really notice a difference. On the trail it crushes rocks.

I just put the money into my D30 for 4.88 and ARB.... D44 goes in next month... Provided the economy does not not grind to a stand still.

I am currently on 31's... Going to 33-34 as my next tire size hopefully in the next year or so.

The AW4 Auto has a .75 over drive gear so that helps when going a bit deeper gear. The manual I would not recommend 4.88s on such a small tire but the auto is do-able

I had 4.88's on 35s and I wasnt that happy with highway RPM's being almost 3K at 70MPH.

Thats up to you though, you arent going to be able to go fast at all with those gears and 32's. I would go 4.10-4.56 for 32-33...

i run 3k rpm at 70 mph and get nearly 20 mpg highway, city sucks because im always driving it hard because it feels cool to accelerate with the low gears, makes me feel badass

Back