• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers or Limited Slip

Aaron21

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 2000 XJ with a RE 4.5 and 32' tires and wanting to move to 33' tires. I am regearing to 4.88. I am in missoula, MT and use my jeep mostly for exploring in the snow. I currently have open differentials and I am wondering what would be better for helping me in the snow lockers or limited slip or a combination. I also use my jeep for some offroading in the summer on rocky trails. Wondering what advise you can give me.

Thanks

LSD would be good for snow, id say get a track lock and put it in the back, rebuild the spring packs for it and stuff it in there, its nice and cheap. It will also be cheap putting that in since you are regearing anyway

LSD is nice if you are driving around in light snow and do not want the slipping that lockers may induce, but it may not be enough to get you out of big trouble if that's what you're planning to do.

I would still have selectable lockers up front, either way.

Deep snow or big rocks you will want a locker over a limited slip. If you are concerned about street driving a lot on icy roads a limited slip would probalby be a better choice.

Wanted to come watch people freak out about driving in the snow with a rear locker :D I just put a no-slip in the rear and it was great offroad last weekend. I'd say go with a ECTED or ARB if you got the cash, but a no-slip if you don't. I don't think a LS would be worth the money in the long run and you don't want to have to go through the install again in a year or so.

My Chry 8.25 PowerTrax No-Slip locker behaves exactly the same as my D35 Trac-loc Limited Slip used to behave. We get plenty of snow and ice here in Minnesota. A few extra clunks and a slight push feeling (like a gust of a side-wind on the highway) once and a while are all that the No-Slip does on the pavement.

The locker works much better that a LS on the trails. The only LS I would ever consider owning and using is the Detroit TrueTrac. A clutch type LS like the Trac-loc will wear out quickly when used on the trails. The TrueTrac will never wear out and it doesn't need special lubricants.

The ideal set up would be a rear locker and a TrueTrac LS in the front.

Last edited:
My Chry 8.25 PowerTrax No-Slip locker behaves exactly the same as my D35 Trac-loc Limited Slip used to behave. We get plenty of snow and ice here in Minnesota. A few extra clunks and a slight push feeling (like a gust of a side-wind on the highway) once and a while are all that the No-Slip does on the pavement.

The locker works much better that a LS on the trails. The only LS I would ever consider owning and using is the Detroit TrueTrac. A clutch type LS like the Trac-loc will wear out quickly when used on the trails. The TrueTrac will never wear out and it doesn't need special lubricants.

The ideal set up would be a rear locker and a TrueTrac LS in the front.

Ive heard a front LSD will act pretty funky sometimes.

I don't have front LS myself but a buddy does in his Wrangler. According to him it does not engage and is invisible in 2wd and has no bad manners or handling quirks in 4wd.

why is this thread still alive??

Locker FTW!!!

Ideal setup, locked front, ected rear (to reduce rear tire wear...locker doesn't wear out front tires).

Back