• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 clutch woes...time to fix and upgrade.

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ with an AX-15, internal slave cylinder type. I am looking for someone to check my work here before I get started on parts sourcing and clutch replacement. I haven't done the clutch on the XJ before so please excuse me if some of the terminology/thoughts are wrong. I know you guys will set me straight!

I have been having varying degrees of clutch chatter for quite some time and, since yesterday, very hard shifting with the clutch pedal engaging/disengaging very near the floor. I am thinking bad master/slave or pressure plate (plate with fingers on it?). Also, I have been hearing a VERY quiet grinding (for lack of a better word) when the clutch is released with the transmission in neutral. Is this throwout bearing noise? The clutch itself has about 110,000 miles on it but during it's lifetime has had to deal with way too tall gears and a nasty rear main seal leak...both fixed by the way. Also, some deep water crossings and mud...that won't change for the new clutch:)

Regardless of what is broken I plan on replacing the flywheel, all clutch parts with a clutch kit, and master and slave cylinder.

At the same time I am going to get a bell housing from a newer XJ that has an external slave. It is my understanding that I will need the following items to complete the conversion to an external slave cylinder:
-'94+ AX-15 Bell housing
-Master and slave combo for the newer system
-Clutch fork
-Front bearing retainer for the newer system
-Front bearing seal

Did I miss anything?

As a result, when I am ordering the clutch kit I should get a kit for a '94+ set-up, right? Will a complete clutch kit plus what is listed above for the conversion cover everything that I will need?

One last question. There are a lot of clutch kit brands out there. I have the 4.0L with a K&N FIPK and plans in the near future for a Dynomax cat-back and '99+ intake so I am looking at maybe 20hp over stock when I am done...not much. I would like to avoid spending the large amounts of $ that a Centerforce requires, and I think it is overkill for this application. What are the brands that I should consider for a good solid OEM replacement that will last with this horsepower output and around 20% wheeling/80% daily driver. I don't mind paying for a good clutch kit...I am done with cheap crappy parts and I don't want to do this again anytime soon!

What do you say :NAXJA:'ers?:D Let the miracle of collective knowledge commence!

Last edited:
hello,

i have a 97 xj with the ax-15 and have had great sucess with the oem(stock) clutch. currently have 174,000 miles on the original clutch that came with the jeep. Id say if you have the money, go with oem parts.

Just my .02 cents

Ok, good to know. Do you know who makes the OEM clutch for Jeep, or is it a Mopar part? I'll call the dealership and ask, but I figured you guys might know off the top of your head.

Probably a good idea. Thanks for the info on the clutch brand. Anybody else on the rest?

Back