• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d-30 parts interchange?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have a vacuum disco d-30 in my 89 now.I picked up a 99 xj high pinion d-30 the other day and the unit bearings,ball joints,brakes and rotors are original.
All the parts I just mentioned are practically new on the 89 d-30 I have in there now.....Will all these parts swap onto the 99 d-30?
Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I have my DD under the knife,so to speak.

the unit bearings are the same, the ball joints should be the same, but your brakes will be different due to the difference in the calipers. The rotors are the same I believe as well.

nope, that came in 00-01 I believe. My 99 has a HP D30 in it.

I think the 93 calipers are the same as the 99. I believe it was around 90 or 91 when the changes to the calipers took place.

no problem. just look at them and the mounting is different. it is noticable when you examine the two different ones.

future reference...93 and 99 rotors vary slightly:doh:

I don't know the cut off years but I had this issue with my LP 30. The rotors the auto parts place gave me were set about 1/8 and inch too deep, they had the other part in stock at a higher rate of course. I am swapping in a HP 30 and just plan to swap the knuckles, shafts, rotors, breaks and so on from the LP 30. Just waiting on the funds to regear...

Josh

For the record, the hat depth on the unit bearing/hub assemblies will be different for those years...thus the difference in the rotors/calipers.

When you swap out a LP for a HP housing, keep everything from the knuckles outward. That'll save you headaches. The only real reason to change out will be either the vac disconnect or going to HP from LP. Keep the 91+ knuckles and outward. ;)

So the problem is the caliper mounting points on the knuckles?

Let me get this straight:If I want to use 89 unit bearings/brakes on a 99 housing I would have to swap over the 89 knuckles into the 99 so that the calipers will bolt up?

Or is it mainly a matter of "hat" distance?

So the problem is the caliper mounting points on the knuckles?

Let me get this straight:If I want to use 89 unit bearings/brakes on a 99 housing I would have to swap over the 89 knuckles into the 99 so that the calipers will bolt up?

Correct.

Of course swapping 89 junk to a 99 housing is the complete opposite of what is desired. If it were me and another high pinion, non-disconnect axle isn't available, I'd just swap in the complete 99 and call it good. Ideally you'd want a high pinion axle newer than 91.

(quote)"Of course swapping 89 junk to a 99 housing is the complete opposite of what is desired"(end quote)

What do you mean?

The 89 calipers,rotors,unit bearings are pretty new with less than 15k on them.....so I really don't consider them junk.
What I'm trying to do is save myself a chunk of cash by not having to buy new calipers,rotors,unit bearings for the 99 axle.

The 99 axle shafts will spline up to the 89 hubs,right?

The shafts will fit without a problem, but the brakes are a little better on the newer ones.

Since your stuff is newish, keep the newer knuckles on hand to swap in when the older-style stuff wears out.

I still don't think it's worth the trouble to swap a disco axle for a LP one. I'd be more inclined to take some newer shafts with bigger ujoints and do a conversion (block off for the housing to take a one-piece shaft on the passenger side). That's my opinion though, take it for what it's worth...

Back