• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble starting

Teoromero420

NAXJA Forum User
1984 Jeep Cherokee (v6) has trouble starting. Usually starts only on the second try when i give it gas. Also this morning after i left work i pretty much had to floor it and hold down the starter. and last night on my way home temp guage was starting to light up.

1984 Jeep Cherokee (v6) has trouble starting. Usually starts only on the second try when i give it gas. Also this morning after i left work i pretty much had to floor it and hold down the starter. and last night on my way home temp guage was starting to light up.

X2 on the choke. Do you park facing uphill or facing down hill. If facing uphill the fuel runs back out of the carb. Keep in mind it is carbed so you may very well have to pump it a couple times to start it, alot of carbed vehicles are like this.
As far as the light.. make sure that you have enough coolant on the system. Then I would make sure that the clutch fan is working properly, radiator is clean from alot of stuff that usually accumulates from the road(bugs, leaves,gunk, etc). Then you could also flush the sytem out. It is an 84 so it is probably time to flush/clean it out since it was probably never been done since 84.

Back