• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ need Front End Suspension Help (Snow Plow)

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
(moved from OEM Tech Discussion)

I have a 92 XJ, the most basic model you can have. I also have an 88 XJ laredo. The 88 has a western 7'2 lsx unimount snow plow on it. The 88 has also rusted out from underneath the plow. I'm switching the plow over to the 92 and I want to bolster the front end because over time, it made the front end of the 88 sag. I do know for a fact that the plow frame fits etc...

I'm also planning on running 30"x9.5"x15's on it and would like (but not need) a little lift. Originally I wanted to run 31's but I think that's out of the question based on the lift necessary to do it.

So I started this saga with a forum more suited for snow plows and got three responses. The first was to use Monro Air shocks all the way around. The other was to use the airlift kit. The 1000 series up front and the ride control series in the back. And the third option was to use the Air Lift System AND us upcountry springs up front and upcountry leafs out back. They also advised against a large lift.

I do very light off-roading. The stock height (without the plow) on my 88 only scrapes (bottoms out) a little in one spot on the trail that I'm on consistently.

The problems / questions I have

1) No one lists an Air Shock for the front end of the XJ
2) The Air Lift 1000 series lists up to a '91 Jeep. What's the difference between the '91 and the '92 in the coil spring area.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.html
3) Which option is better or is there a better solution than these two?

TIA

Aside from going and getting a vehicle better suited for plowing,

One option would be to run a set of V8 ZJ coils. They are stiffer (better for carrying the plow load) and a little longer. The rear could be leveled with longer shackles or an add-a-leaf.

If you're looking for a small lift use the coils from an f-150. They give an inch or two of lift and are alot stiffer so will help to combat sag from the plow.

I've plowed with a f/s p/u before and the Jeep is WAY better at getting into closed end driveways - which is all I plow. Maybe not the best choice according to some, but it's what I have. Western doesn't make the UNI-mount frames anymore so even if I wanted to put this on a p/u it would be an ordeal as well, so I choose to deal with this one.

The problem - or so I've been told - is that I need something adjustable. Stiff when the plow's installed and not when it's off. The ZJ coils will give me a 3" lift, but I don't know if they'll do any better at managing the added weight when the plowing. The 3" lift might also mess up the plow angles.

Maybe the f150 springs will help if they are only 1" or so taller. This is how much taller the upcountry springs are as well, but the f150 springs are probably more suited for the weights involved. Has anyone had experience with them?

I still like the air bag / air shock for its adjustability.

Air is probably the only thing that will do what you want. An XJ is just so much lighter than a fullsize, the plow weight is much more significant. JC Gypme always has lots of generic air suspension stuff.

Actually, adjustable spacers might work for you. They wont change the spring rate, but they will make it relatively easy to change the spring height. Do you leave the plow on all winter?
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...OS&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Coil_Spring

I take the plow on and off. I drive this when it snows and it has the plow on it if there's a forecast for more than 2". I'm in Eastern NY so it's sproradic.

well with air you flip a switch. with the spacer you have to jack it up and spin the spacer rings. with f150 springs they're just stiff as hell. it's your call.

Air actually isn't that complicated. I just did an entire setup on my buddy's truck, and it's suprisingly simple. Just have to have the right cups.

id go with the f-150 springs and some good shocks and call it a day. but id also look for a small pick up before id plow with an XJ but thats just me

id go with the f-150 springs and some good shocks and call it a day. but id also look for a small pick up before id plow with an XJ but thats just me

Even a small pick up is longer than an XJ. They can't be beat for small, closed end driveways. Maybe - MAYBE a hardtop CJ, but no p/u's going to get turned around where I do.

I have a 2000 xj that im going to put a 6'6" western unimount on this winter. got the plow from a junk yard and fixing the worn out plow now. i put the heavier duty springs in all 4 corners and it gave me a 2 inch lift. cherokees had the upcountry package and that was a factory 2 inch lift. The front coils have a bigger diameter wire than stock and with my dad and i (370 pounds) hanging off the front end didnt squat a whole lot. like i said i dont have the plow mounted up yet, but im not too worried about it. cant wait to try it out! :D

With a small amount of work, you can put rear shock on the front of an XJ, so you could conceivably install air shocks up front. To accommodate the upper shock mount, you install a bar pin eliminator with a stud mount on top.

I was very disappointed that I could not find the upcountry springs. Several searches on this forum and on others did not turn up any P/N's for the EXACT spring that I would need for that factory 1"-2" lift. I don't want to go any higher than that for fear of throwing off the plow frame geometry. Where did you get your Upcountry springs Wild child?

I was also planning on installing 30" tires, but even though several people here have said they'll work, I'm sceptical. I have 235-75-15's on there now that measure about 27.5" in diameter. Going to a 30" looks like definite rubbing on the fender flares.

Do people here that have 30's on there stock rims remove the flares or do any other mods?

In any case, my plan is this. The plow frame is being installed this week. I've ordered a set of the airlift air bags (P/N 80702) and will install. ($80 shipped) I'll measure the stock fender well height from the center of the wheel and record. Install the plow, and inflate the air springs to the recorded number.

I'll work out the tire issue shortly thereafter. I really want to run 30's but again - I'm very sceptical, especially with an M/T tread pattern. One interference and BYE-BYE fender flare.

I have 30x9.50 R16's on my 2000 A/T tread and they don't rub at all. So far not even when i've been doing some light trails and not under full lock left or right.

No it is just a Classic no upgraded suspension just stock. So the mild 1" to 2" lift from new springs would probably be just fine especially if you went with the F150 springs.

river, i measured the diameter of the coils and they are about .565" or .570" diameter. if you call for the upcountry springs, maybe that could help ya make sure you're getting the right springs. I have 235/75-15 wrangler RT/S tires (29" i think) on my jeep and they dont rub. Its a common cheap tire. I did some quick measuring on my plow frame (western uni-mount) and the jeep to check the geometry like you were talking about. I think the jeep will be about an 1.5" taller than what would make the plow A-frame level. After i looked at the scraper edge, its almost gone, so new scraper edge and it will be level enough. sometimes i get too picky and have to remind myself its not the space shuttle, even then, that dosnt work half the time. hahaha:laugh3:

Back