• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 8.25 to d44, question

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy has a 2000 with a 8.25 in the rear. he just picked up a d44 for it... my question is, is that a direct swap for that year? what will he need to do the swap? are the rear drums/brake assemblies the same?

He will need new U-bolts. 8.25 is 3" in diam,D44 is less than that.
Drive shaft will be close to the same length,no need to change it.
Swap E-Brake cables,they mount the same,but are different because of the change of body styles .
The brakes are still drums but larger,just refresh the 44,there may be a difference in the breather hose and T-Block for the brake line.I just drilled and tapped for the new style breather and plugged the old hole.

Wayne

Yes by .25".

But bigger shafts, ring gear, 10 drums vs 9 inch drums.

I wouldn't go crazy with money trying to get one, as I got mine for about 100 bucks.

On the U-bolt question, when you order a lift kit from Skyjacker or R.E. they ask D35 or 8.25/D44. They only list the two sizes, but if you order just the U-bolts from R.E. they list 2.75", 3." & 3.25. My D44 uses 3" bolts for sure. I just measured my axle tube at the U-bolt with a dial caliper & it is 2 7/8" diameter so if the 8.25 is 3" that's only 1/8" larger not 1/4". I also always use 9/16" bolts on my XJs regardless of the axle. I don't know if I've answered the question or created more confusion though.

3" Ubolts work for the D44. I have two XJs, both have Dana 44 rear ends and both are held in with 3" U-bolts.

Back