• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with fuel/overheating problem.

towmyvws

NAXJA Forum User
got a 90 renix cherokee i drive around town to class and stuff. my tools are 4 hours away and i bought it for $1000 and drive it like i stole it, so don't yell about maintenance lol

it's been overheating for about 6 months, never too bad though. small coolant leak and i think it needs a waterpump. i put a thermostat in it last summer.

this week, if it gets hot enough (needle hitting mid-way or past), it starts stumbling and missing like crazy until it dies. not a gradual thing, you go from cruising like normal to stumbling around at 800rpm instantly, til it dies. when i let it cool off a bit, it will start back up and drive like normal until it hits that magic temperature again.

anybody seen this before?

if you just got the thing, bring it back up to par. waterpump sounds like its on the way out (it 'weeps' to tell you to replace it). as for the stutter, check your tps voltages, maybe a tune-up? you might want to install a 'burper valve'. your engine is properly burped right?`

if it really IS a fuel issue, it could be as simple as a clogged filter, or as intricate as a dead fuel pump or clogged sock/lines... or bad fuel injector wiring....

you didnt really think you could just fuel-up a $1000 car, and drive it forever did you? what does "don't yell about maintenance lol" mean? is maintenance against your ethics?

honestly, it's been pretty problem-free since i got it. i put new injectors in it because they leaked at the rail, put a thermo in it, other than that it's been okay.

im not against upkeep lol, i just don't unless it's necessary to keep it running. my classes keep me pretty busy, i dont have time to play around under the hood like i used to.

i was thinking fuel pump, but it runs great until it hits that temperature. it's like a switch is activated, and it instantly stumbles around misfiring until it dies. let it cool for 3 minutes, and itl fire back up.

Back