• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX CHANGEOUT

OLAF

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading in this forum about the pain in butt renix system. and that the newer versions of the cherokee has a new and improved system.
are these newer systems compatible with my 1988 xj? and from which year forward were these systems installed?
would anybody have a parts list list and diagrams or schematics for the the instalation of the newer system. Last but not least thank you for the tips on fixing the leaks in my jeep.

I have a 87xj with the Renix system and have had no problems with it. I look at it this way if you can't troubleshoot a Renix system you had better stay away from a OBDI or OBDII system. More sensors more problems.

Are you talking abou cooling system? Or the actualy motor?

If cooling anything with a HO badge or newer will have this radiator with the cap, and thermostat housing.

If motors, I think the '92+ probally wrong, but around that time is when the AMC-242 was introduced.

1990 was the last year for the Renix system and is not the same as the later Chrysler system so you will have to do a swap or mod to the wiring harness on a 91xj or later engine the later the year the bigger the change.

OLAF said:
I have been reading in this forum about the pain in butt renix system. and that the newer versions of the cherokee has a new and improved system.
are these newer systems compatible with my 1988 xj? and from which year forward were these systems installed?
would anybody have a parts list list and diagrams or schematics for the the instalation of the newer system. Last but not least thank you for the tips on fixing the leaks in my jeep.

"Pain in the butt?" Hardly - I've got five.

The XJ and MJ were using the "pre-OBD" RENIX (RENault/bendIX) system until 1991, when Chrysler substituted their OBD-I spec electronics. This was replaced again in 1996 with OBD-II.

I happen to be rather fond of the RENIX system - from what I've been able to find out, it's more open-ended programming, troubleshooting is only slightly more complex than points/condenser, and you don't have the OBD system "throwing codes" at you - which have, at times, sent me on wild-goose chases (I've owned both OBD-I and OBD-II - just not XJ's.)

Given a choice, I'll stick to RENIX. Even the cooling system works quite well, properly maintained. Of course, I'd apply that caveat to any cooling system - so nothing special there, either...

5-90

I have an '88. Aside from replacing the CPS, TPS, and O2 sensor (what Jeep owner hasn't) ;), it's been pretty reliable and relatively easy to troubleshoot.

What leaks are you having? Oil? Coolant? Trans? ???

Back