• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble precursor

snail

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj sport with a 2in lift
ive only owned it for a few months, and on the road for about 200 miles total, and wobble in the front is progressively becoming worse and more frequent. everything besides the bushings look solid underneath, so im at least going to replace them (bad dry rot), and the steering stabilizer.

ok so heres the actual question. while im doing the bushings, should i replace anything else while im at it?

the components appear to all be stock, so is this anything that usually wears out and should be replaced? i also will probalbly up my tire size to 31s or 32s sometime in the future so would this be a time to upgrade a trac bar or whatever while doing the bushings?

i dont have much experience with steering components so please be gentle :angel:

Bushings are a good place to start especially if they look worn. Examine your track bar as well. Don't do the damper until last as it can mask other issues. That's the first thing a stealership will replace as it's easy money.

Check tie rod ends, ball joints, axle u-joints, steering box condition, etc. Lots of parts and they need to be in good shape to keep the rig behaving nicely.

Oh, and get your tires balanced, rotated, etc. and when you're done with replacing parts get an alignment done.

Mark

Bushings are a good place to start especially if they look worn. Examine your track bar as well. Don't do the damper until last as it can mask other issues. That's the first thing a stealership will replace as it's easy money.

Check tie rod ends, ball joints, axle u-joints, steering box condition, etc. Lots of parts and they need to be in good shape to keep the rig behaving nicely.

Oh, and get your tires balanced, rotated, etc. and when you're done with replacing parts get an alignment done.

Mark

X2 and if you do not believe us then just check out the CO chapter and read the thread "Death wobble caused crash"!!

Back