• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rain Leaks - Accumulated knowledge

4wheelnfun

NAXJA Forum User
In my short time on this forum, one of the XJ problems with the most threads has to do with rain water leaks.

It would be great to have a summary of all NAXJA fixes for rain leaks in one thread, and make it a sticky...

I've been working on my 96 XJ for 3 months fixing various issues trying to make it road worthy.
I got it for free from a friend, and the last major issue I have is fixing the rain water leaks.

I haven't had it on the road in a rain storm yet, since I had to fix lots of stuff to pass NY inspection and get it registered.

After replacing almost all the floor pan steel, I want to make sure I get the rain water leaks fixed right.

I'm looking for any wisdom and fixes that my esteemed forum members can offer:

Things I've done so far to fix the leaks:

Caulked the rain rails gutters w/ silicone
Caulked the screws that hold the roof rack.
Repaired cuts in the the door and hatch seals
Cleaned out the A/C condensate drain
Caulked around the heater blower fan housing (from the engine compartment side)
Caulked around the HVAC vacuum hoses that pass through the firewall
Caulked the corners of the windshield
Caulked around the antenna mount
Snaked out the drain hole in the cowl air box on the drivers side.

Anything else?

Don't know if it's a common issue, but the seals around my quarter glass were leaking fiercely last year, had to put some caulk in behind them.

Windshield frame, doors and hatch seals, vent window seals, door window bottom and side seals, luggage rack, firewall openings, flex pieces between the door and door pillars, good ole fashioned floor rot. Those are the most common culprits when it comes to leaks. Most of us have had one or more of them causing issues.

Update:

It rained last night, and for the first time, there were no rain water puddles on the floor.

Next test will be actually driving through the rain.

Not that I ready to ready to ford rivers, but it is progress.:cheers:

what is rain?

For you wise guys in the land of fruits and nuts, rain is that stuff that they get in Colorado that flows down hill and you end up drinking after the bears sheet in it.

Oh come on now, can't take a little sarcasm?

Found last one: Rain Leaks - Accumulated knowledge

I think I found the last of the big water leaks.

The pin holding driver's side door keeper fell out during the previous owners tenure.
He apparently let the door fly open more than once, and it cracked the welds on the upper and lower door hinges.
A small gap opened up between the hinges and the unibody, but no enough to cause the hinge to fail.

The rain gutter just so happens to pour down on top of the hinges.

I caulked around the hinges (top and bottom) and the dome light switch.

So far, no more rain water in the driver's foot well !!! :D

Back