• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Nightmare, NEED Help..

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I will be rippin the valve cover off this weekend, too prevent any more leaks from the cover.

Currently there is a RTV gasket, but it started leaking a couple of weeks ago in different spots.

I got a cork gasket to put on and NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

:banghead: Chilton's has the torque ratio for RTV only @85in. lbs (10Nm), FSM specifies RTV only @55in. lbs (6 Nm). Obviously a conflick in spec's. :banghead:

What is the torque for a cork gasket? I know that there is usually a diff in torque between RTV and Cork.

I have never really used torque, when I reassemble something like that I use abit less than the same 'grunt' as I would use for tightening a spark plug.
Kinda hard to describe, over time you learn to 'feel' when you are going too tight or too loose. My 98FSM says 85 in.lbs for a gasket. Sequence is from the center two, next two to rear, next two to front and so on.

So RichP, you're saying the 98FSM doesn't distinguish between cork and RTV for torque value?

General rule: Tho the FSM has some errors, FSM > Chilton's.

Do they make a metal/rubber reinforced gasket for the valve cover. My son used one on my wifes Sundance and it was really slick.

He did not even need to use RTV on the gasket and it sealed right up. Granted it was a little more expensive than a cork gasket, but w/o the need for the extra sealant.

Tom Dennis

No mention of RTV in the 98 FSM except in the case of the differentials that I have noticed so far. I use gaskets on those, I dislike RTV though I do have RTV on them now as I damaged the last set and did not have any spare gasket sheet to cut new ones from and the parts store was closed when I needed them [what else is new :D ]

RichP said:
I have never really used torque, when I reassemble something like that I use abit less than the same 'grunt' as I would use for tightening a spark plug.
Kinda hard to describe, over time you learn to 'feel' when you are going too tight or too loose. My 98FSM says 85 in.lbs for a gasket. Sequence is from the center two, next two to rear, next two to front and so on.

ThanX RichP

85 in. lbs. sound good to me.

IF you use the the cork be ready to retorque it a week later. That stuff seems to love to loosen for no good reason.... Then keep an eye on it.... mine has lossened a few times.

That metal insert gasket is made by Fel Pro , I used one on the oil pan when i did my rear main...slick as hell i would pay 4X the amount they asked for one of those.....they seal great and no need to worry about over doing it w/ the wrench.
A year ago they did not have a 4.0 valve gasket in that style but I think a guy in my local club said they have them now. They have been available for Chevy 350 valve covers for a couple of years now....hope they got em for the 4.0 by now

Regards
Chewy

Back