• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too much caster?????

markg

NAXJA Forum User
what are the downsides of too much caster?i have a custom d 60 in the front of my rig and we rotated the pinion up before setting the outer "c"s i just did a longarm setup this weekend(was a re drop bracket kit)i made the short arms a little too short which rotated the pinion down a little more than before but it drives great now!
will this cause tire wear or any other bad things?

Too much caster, can and will cause steering to be "heavier" since you are essentially lifting the weight of the vehicle, the more you turn. It will also cause "understeer" or a "push" in the corners. "Usable" caster is typically anywhere from 2-3 degrees to 8-9 degrees, anything more or less and you get unwanted results as mentioned above. Too little caster is worse (in my opinion) than too much caster, especially in our application. There is a thin line for sure. I think ideal caster should be 4 - 5.5 degrees, assuming the pinion angle is suitable. Tire wear, unless you are talking about an extreme amount of caster, is effected very little by caster alone.

How much do you have?

~James

I agree with above. Some vans mind you run 11 degrees of caster to keep them tracking true down the road.
So long as you dont have very fast return to centre after turning and letting go of the steering wheel, you should be alright.

guessing i would say its around 8-10.if there are no bad side effects i may leave it.i have hyd assist on my steering so it may be hiding some of the effects you mentioned.

Yeah, I was going to mention if you run hydro assist or full hydro, you will never feel it. Unless you race the jeep in your spare time, I wouldnt worry about pushing in the corners either.

~James

Back