• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a streetable locker for 8.25

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 country and i am looking for a quiet locker for a DD.

i am just curious as to what my options are...links are the best way

btw its an 8.25.

thanks NAXJA

its mostly a DD. but i wanna be well versed. mostly trails, rocks, and like camping stuff

i will be running 4.10s

31x10.50x15

not very often...80% of driving is street.

If you want quiet,get a no-slip and change your axle(s).Otherwise just get a lock-rite.

I run Detroit tru-tracs front and rear and I am very pleased. While not a true locker, its much better than factory and practically invisible under normal driving. I would highly suggest the tru-tracks for a vehicle that would be used primarly as a DD with light to moderate trail use.

A noslip is a type of locker... and he means change your axle shafts, not the whole rearend. Go with AlloyUSA axle shafts.

you dont have to change your axle shafts to go to any different locker or to a no-slip. 8.25 traclok is a limited slip carrier. which is very quiet for street. I run the full Detroit and has been extremely quiet for my DDing. if an Ected was available for the 8.25, I'd probably get one of those but the only lockers available for the 8.25s are powertrax no-slip, lockrite, full detroit, Detroit EZ locker (hard to find but kinda noisy)

I've been running a powertrax no-slip for about 2 years now with 4.56's and 33's. I love it. I've beat on it pretty hard and it hasn't let me down yet. Its really quiet for a locker. You may get a click or a pop here and there when it engages under power, but thats about it. Its TONS of fun in the rain... mine whips donuts like a sportscar. You can drift the heck out it, too. Hmmm. Maybe thats why my tires are worn out? haha!

Oh yeah... Its a real straight forward install as well.. Pop out the spiders and pin. And install the new hardened pin (sold seperately) and locker, add oil and your good to go. I bought mine from Rusty's Offroad... It's been awhile, but I think it was around $400. Their customer service has always been A-1, Great guys!

Last edited:
im looking to do the same thing i wasplanning on using a locrite. it is worth it to change from a 27 spline to a 29 spline?

you dont have to change your axle shafts to go to any different locker or to a no-slip. 8.25 traclok is a limited slip carrier. which is very quiet for street. I run the full Detroit and has been extremely quiet for my DDing. if an Ected was available for the 8.25, I'd probably get one of those but the only lockers available for the 8.25s are powertrax no-slip, lockrite, full detroit, Detroit EZ locker (hard to find but kinda noisy)

He will because its a 95 w/ 27 spline shafts.

im looking to do the same thing i wasplanning on using a locrite. it is worth it to change from a 27 spline to a 29 spline?

IIRC you would have to get a new carrier to go from 27 to 29 spline. Not an issue going to a detroit or arb but might be prohibitive if you are just budgeting for a lunchbox.

For God's sake...

If the guy wants something invisible for a DD, he wants an air locker. ARB has what he's looking for.

If he wants to spend the same amount of money on alloy shafts in a larger spline count...and an imperfect LOCKER, the Powertrax No-Slip would do it. FYI, they suck in the ice and slippery roads.

:patriot:

very true, im runnin powertrax in mine and its fine for what its for but if you are going to DD you need to know at all times you are locked if you are in the throttle, on ramps in the rain and snow become a new adventure. if you know how to drive with a locker its fine i think

For God's sake...

If the guy wants something invisible for a DD, he wants an air locker. ARB has what he's looking for.

If he wants to spend the same amount of money on alloy shafts in a larger spline count...and an imperfect LOCKER, the Powertrax No-Slip would do it. FYI, they suck in the ice and slippery roads.

:patriot:

Ditto that. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the ARB before now.

Yes they cost more than most other lockers. Over the long run it is a small price difference that will be very much worth it. Just my opinion of course.

Back