• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans still leaking

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
95xj aw4 4.0 ho. I still have not been able to find this leak that I am having and its getting worse. its trans fluid and it leaks above the exhaust causing my ride to become a smoke machine but only on the freeways. it doesnt leak when its parked and doesnt seem to leak when its around town. The fluid is on the add line in nuetral on flat ground and it still leaks so I am doubting the vent tube is leaking. what else could it be is something blocked and making the fluid leave through the vent tube or what?

DurbElites said:
95xj aw4 4.0 ho. I still have not been able to find this leak that I am having and its getting worse. its trans fluid and it leaks above the exhaust causing my ride to become a smoke machine but only on the freeways. it doesnt leak when its parked and doesnt seem to leak when its around town. The fluid is on the add line in nuetral on flat ground and it still leaks so I am doubting the vent tube is leaking. what else could it be is something blocked and making the fluid leave through the vent tube or what?

is this an automatic? did you check the tranny cooler lines? the tranny lines lines running to the front of the jeep into the radiator?

where have you checked so far?

sounds like a busted hose because at freeway speeds its kicking fluid up but not happening when parked. so when its on the highway the fluid is making its way higher up somewhere (like a busted hose) and coming out.

I have replaced the trans lines O rings up front and in back with the quick connecters have used sealant around everything else that looked like it would leak. its only coming from the passenger side part of the bell housing by the vent line but its a quart low already so i doubt that its still coming from there. there is only fluid coming from the passenger side of the inspection plate and down the trans covering the exhaust the nss the vent tube and most elec wires on that side. the pan is covered but nothing forward of the exhaust just back and starts on the passenger side of the bell housing.

Are you using a gasket or RTV on the tranny pan? I had the same smoking problem and fixed it by using a good cork gasket instead of liquid gasket on the pan.

both just in case. but its not the pan it got trans fluid higher than just the pan. I went to the stealership and the trans guy looked for free (thats a first) at it and said he is almost certain its the front seal so I went to napa and order the front seal. is there anything else that should be ordered? he said something about a pump O ring? maybe someone else has part numbers for this O ring, napa didnt have it also is there any other seals that may be there that I can change if I already have to pull the trans?

Last edited:
Back