• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Front suspension Changes from 91

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the pre-'92 and '92 front suspension on the XJ is?

I want to use Air Lift 1000 coil spring load supports, but they are only listed to '91. Anyone have any idea why?

TIA

Could I use 91 bump stops?

Does any one know if the difference in the bump stops makes a difference in an air lift installation?

I need to correct my previous post. The bump stops changed between 93/94. There doesn't seem to be any difference between 91/92. Around my house we have an 87, a 91 beater project & a 95. The 95 has different bumpstops, the 87 & 91 are the same & will not work on the 95 without modification of the part the bumpstops fit on. If you have a 92 I'm sure any part made for a 91 & earlier will fit. If the air bag or whatever goes inside the coil spring you probably remove the bumpstop anyway. The earlier type screws on, I'm not sure about the later ones, but they don't unscrew. I made extensions for my 87 but they would not work on my 95.

Hmm. '91 was the end of the axle-disconnect, but I'd have to see these bags to figger out why that should make any difference. Other than that, I got nuthin... :shrug:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.html

OK - I guess I better get into the full explanation.

I have a 92 XJ, the most basic model you can have. I also have an 88 XJ laredo. The 88 has a western 7'2 lsx unimount snow plow on it. The 88 has also rusted out from underneath the plow. I'm switching the plow over to the 92 and I want to bolster the front end because over time, it made the front end of the 88 sag. I do know for a fact that the plow frame fits etc...

I'm also planning on running 30"x9.5"x15's on it and would like (but not need) a little lift. Originally I wanted to run 31's but I think that's out of the question based on the lift necessary to do it.

So I started this saga with a forum more suited for snow plows and got three responses. The first was to use Monro Air shocks all the way around. The other was to use the airlift kit. The 1000 series up front and the ride control series in the back. And the third option was to use the Air Lift System AND us upcountry springs up front and upcountry leafs out back. They also advised against a large lift.

I do very light off-roading. The stock height (without the plow) on my 88 only scrapes (bottoms out) a little in one spot on the trail that I'm on consistently.

TIA

That's a pretty big plow for an XJ!!

I would suggest a mild lift...3" is mild. Get the HD front springs (made for winch bumpers) and the full leaf packs out back.

I'm going to move this to the Modified Tech forum, but i'll check back here for yucca-man's response after he looks at the bag I was suggesting.

I looked at your airbags & I'm sure it's the bumpstop issue that stops them from working on later XJs. The end of 93 seems to be the change in the bumpstops so you should be able to use them in your 92. Just an educated guess though.

Weird - I can't think of any reason there should be a difference now...except that the company maybe hasn't tested it with any XJ after '91. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that kind of thing happen, but it's weird. They've got a contact number, I'd recommend giving 'em a call and see if they can explain the difference.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

FYI - I found a difference today between 91 and 92 front suspensions. The bump stop is different. The exact difference is in the bump stop holder. In pre-92 the bump stop holder is a cup that screws on to the bottom side of the upper spring mount. In the 92 + models, that holder is welded to the upper spring mount.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Back